Van security

Paul27

We have noticed on many YouTube videos that many people who do not stay in dedicated campsites use steering mounted locks as a theft deterrent. Historically we have always stayed on formal campsites in our large A Class motorhome. However, we have just ordered a smaller campervan with the intention of being more adventurous in where we spend the night and was wondering what peoples views/suggestions are in fitting additional physical protection to the van. It certainly on the face of it seems sensible but not sure if we would simply get fed up fitting it every time we parked and ventured away from the van. Our new campervan will be fitted with a tracker an immobiliser……….any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I've always believed that most campervans get stolen from peoples homes rather than out on the road. I have a DiskLok and a pedal lock but only really use them when it's parked on the drive.

I think the danger when away is that an opportunist thief might see you leave the vehicle and break in with a view to steal whatever goods are left inside rather than the van itself. Use a Disklok as a visual deterrent but I think a good alarm is as important as anything when you are most likely to be away from the van I.e. in daylight - and don't leave valuables where they may be seen through a window.

Apart from that you usually just need a chain mail suit, preferably axe proof. 😐

Without knowing which van it is hard to answer as some on here might be able to give you more specific advice. Some vans might benefit from a lock upgrade but otherwise something as a visual deterrent, nothing will be foolproof if you are unlucky enough to attract the attention of the criminal fraternity.

We have noticed on many YouTube videos that many people who do not stay in dedicated campsites use steering mounted locks as a theft deterrent. Historically we have always stayed on formal campsites in our large A Class motorhome. However, we have just ordered a smaller campervan with the intention of being more adventurous in where we spend the night and was wondering what peoples views/suggestions are in fitting additional physical protection to the van. It certainly on the face of it seems sensible but not sure if we would simply get fed up fitting it every time we parked and ventured away from the van. Our new campervan will be fitted with a tracker an immobiliser……….any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Thanks that is helpful, when parked at home I have a security post fitted along with security cameras so covered there, it just leaving it in car parks etc during the day when we are out and about

Without knowing which van it is hard to answer as some on here might be able to give you more specific advice. Some vans might benefit from a lock upgrade but otherwise something as a visual deterrent, nothing will be foolproof if you are unlucky enough to attract the attention of the criminal fraternity.
It’s a Carthago Malibu that we have bought

I have a disklok which I automatically put on when I park up . It takes seconds .
Visual deterrent mostly but think it's effective. I mostly don't use sites

A few thoughts about security.

1) Security has three objectives.
Deterrent - to make them try elsewhere.
Make sure suitable devices are visible and use stickers when available
Dog bowls with Food & Water in it and a "I live here" sticker are possibly the most cost effective security measure.

Prevention - to stop them from stealing the item

Identification - To aid recovery

2) Some thefts are opportunistic. A friend left the hab door open whilst having a drink in the sun of the opposite side of the MoHo, someone got a free TV

3) You need to consider security of:-.
1) Vehicle: e.g. tracker / immobiliser / Secret switches / fuse removal / Locks (seat or steering or pedal ) / Pin pull personal attack alarm
2) Contents. e,g. Movement detection alarms (make sure it has a nigh time(or perimeter only) mode. / Marking (I use smart water) / security
3) Exterior. Seats & Trailers etc. e.g. Chains & Locks / EHU cable (thread it through outdoor items so theives have to unplug the EHU which activates the power loss alarm).

Security Audit
In general terms the more security the better.
It is an individual decision on our much security you have.
Some of the factors in this decision are depth of your pockets / type of sites used / storage location / value / attitude to risk,

It is worthwhile doing an audit to see what you have addressed and what you haven't.
This is an example of a Security Audit, if you disagree with my view on what doess what that is fine.
security audit.jpg

I use a disklok on all our vehicles ....including the landrovers ...
As most stolen vehicle next to a transit ...

Great deterrent and easy to use ....

Most scrotes can bypass alarms and find/block trackers in fairly short order, physical locks etc take time/effort and noise to deal with ...

Disklok and not having a mh that looks like gin palace suits us, also being aware of your surroundings and a prominently displayed English Bull Terrier sign that says Make My Day Punk helps.
That said, if a scrote really wants to break in, he will do.

Made my own pedal lock but you can buy them with an inbuilt safe section, mine also has a ring for h duty chain to go around the s wheel, though they can cut a section out of the wheel, but along with the pedal lock i think they will move on to another.
p lock a.jpg
p lock b.jpg
p lock c.jpg
p lock d.jpg

Back