Tyres needed Best prices??

John Dough

I will need a set of tyres before next summer and would prefer NOT to use the original Michelins as very dodgy on wet roads and subject to sidewall cracking even when off the ground!!,So any good places nr. Manchester or Nth Wales for these at a good price size is : 215 x 70 x 16 would like a good make ;Continental,Uniroyal,Dunlop, got a quote in Ireland last month £100 each for Firestone.

Tnx guyz.

Hi John,
Try ebay.
We have just bought 2 x brand new Conti vanco's for £50, + £21 for an overnight courier to bring them.
£71 for 2 is far cheaper than £126 each at ATS, here in Stratford on Avon, or £76 each in Southam a few miles away. Ours are 225/70/15's.

Just enter a search for your size of tyre.

Voxy.

Hello Voxy,

That's quite a saving - but how do you get the tyres fitted? Are you able to take your own to a fitting place?

Graham

the average price for fitting balancing /valve and old tyre disposel is about a tenner
I had some Yokohama geolanders 205/70-15 fitted to my alloys for my VW van for 62 each

Try costco f your a member they are supposed to be very competitive:)

Davy said:
Try costco f your a member they are supposed to be very competitive:)

costco are good and I believe they have a 20% off coupon soon. Costco sell michelin tyres cheaper than UK distributors can buy them in for!

graham/kath said:
I beleive that michelin are the only tyre manufacturer that design & make a tyre exclusivley for motorhomes. I also understand that the sidewalls on these tyres are different ( softer to give a better ride) than their van tyres.

Could this be the reason for John Dough's findings about cracking side walls?

I also was a trucker, and on my truck (the gaffa's truck) he swore by michelins, but that was for the high mileage I got out of them as well as grip.
Now I'm retired I can't see me doing 80,000 miles a year in the motorhome!!! So the motorhome tyres are a different kettle of fish - they will perish long before they reach the mileage the truck did.

I have seen various tyres being tested. Although Michelin camper tyres did more miles before running out of tread than the vanco tyre, in the wet from 60mph, the vanco stopped 20 yards shorter than the michelin.
Now that is 3 motorhome lengths........
So I know which tyres I prefer

Voxy

Tyres and valves

Read a piece recently in mmm,about rubber valves splitting due to the high pressure. Has anyone had any similar problem ,or have you got metal ones.

Personally I will only use Michelin Camping XC on my van. A few years back I fitted Firestone to front (drive) wheels saving about £50 each on the Michelin but they delaminated after only 5000 miles, coming up in lumps that gave a very bumpy ride back from Venice that year!

The current van is coming up on 5 years old, 35,000 miles, and still has the original XCs on with loads of wear left. I might have to change them due to age before they wear out. (6 wheels at about £130 each - ouch....)

Last edited:
Costco currently have the 20% off deal on tyres at the moment but you must buy 4 to get the discount offer ends on the 19th of feb

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back