Tyre Pressure For Fiat Ducato

Tyre Pressures

Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if this has been said before and I've missed it.
Over inflation is almost as bad as under inflation, I rang Continental to ask about pressures for my MH, told them what the manufacturer recommended pressures were and the bloke had a fit, said they were the maximum pressures for the tyres and told me 54 front and 61 rear. neither the van nor my teeth rattle now!
You can download a tyre safety and tyre load and pressure chart from www.tyresafe.org; click on Tyre safety Information in the left hand menu and then on the Download button on the Motorhome Tyres section. To get pressures any more accurate you will have to get each axle weighed at a weighbridge.
All the best,
Andy.

RECOMENDID BY MICHELIN FOR 215/75/R16C FRONT 60psi REAR 65psi
1760 kg 2070 kg

Have a read of http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html which goes into tyres, pressures, sizing etc. Its all good info to have.

Truck tyres were the bain of my life for quite a few years until one of the B Double drivers I worked with got stuck into me about not doing enough to manage the fleet's tyres - pressures, tyre diameters, tyre widths, etc. He became our tyre guru over night, what he did nt know about tyres was not worth knowing.

Lessons;

Run at the tyre manufacturers stated pressures for the weight carried - it varies from vehicle to vehicle.
For longevity have the largest diameter tyres possible - they turn less.
For handling have the smallest diameter tyres possible - less roll from the tyre sidewalls.
For ride comfort have the tallest tyre possible eg aspect ratio at 100% (width same as height) - the tyre absorbs the road surface better than low aspect ratios.
Check the tyres daily for uneven wear - the trucks were doing 1500kms to 2000kms a day.
Check pressures weekly or if uneven tyre wear detected (B Doubles have 30 tyres).
Rotate the tyres at the major service intervals.
Keeping an unused spare tyre is false economy and should be rotated with the others - especially if you have dual wheels on the rear (the larger diameter new tyre wears down very quickly to the adjacent smaller diameter older tyre)

The lower the aspect ratio the more critical tyre pressure becomes - too high and only the crown of the tyre is in contact with the road - too low and only the outer edges of the tyre contact the road. 100% aspect ratio tyres are more forgiving of a few pounds astray.

Bring back the days of nice simple tyres :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back