Tried it and failed?

Soxandjeff

Anyone out there thought that a life on the road was the life they wanted then regretted it after a winter or after a time?

Happens more often than people realise or admit, which is why when someone asks about fulltiming and selling up, those morons who come up with glowing reports about life on the road without discussing obvious downsides need tar and feathering

That said, we are in our 13th year and still going strong, BUT we still have a fully furnished house to go back to.

We had a neighbour who spent a year converting a bus and srt kff only to return home three months later or face instsnt divorce. But he had his house so no real harm done

Last edited by a moderator:
As Tony has posted

There will be many more .

We are fortunate(organised) in that "winter" is catered for in warmer climes where we have a fixed base
And indeed this also allows us to re-charge the "travelling batteries"

We even find the shorter days in September a bit trying and know that "Proper Full-timing" would not be for us.
Even in Southern Europe or Morocco the days are short and it will be too cold at times

We love using the MoHo "Full-time" from Mid-April to Mid-September.
But the time will come........

Hope you can still do long trips enjoyably in the summer..There are considerations for this
a) mail DVLA etc
b) House insurance/maintenance
c) ???

And yes we still own our (UK) house

Last edited:
I've decided I can't live without a bit of gardening (at least every few days, most days if possible, doesn't have to be my own!) and that I now seriously doubt I can give up the bricks and mortar entirely & full time in a van.

Much longer spells away in the van is the answer and a happy compromise should be achievable now - I hope! :)

I've decided I can't live without a bit of gardening (at least every few days, most days if possible, doesn't have to be my own!) and that I now seriously doubt I can give up the bricks and mortar entirely & full time in a van.

Much longer spells away in the van is the answer and a happy compromise should be achievable now - I hope! :)

I have a driveway with full hookup if you feel the need to do some gardening. I'll make a list of stuff that needs doing (should sort you until ohhhh .... springtime..... 2023)

It would depend on the vehicle really.

Some motorhomes are the size of a small flat with every modern convenience and highly efficient heating systems and appliances, this would be vastly different to a small panel van without heating for instance.

Then you would have to consider your partner if you have one. Personally, I love the winter and the cozy feeling of being in a warm van whilst the weather is foul outside, but my mrs wouldn't be so keen if she had to venture out to get fresh water or empty a cassette. I could quite happily full time myself, but I reckon a week maximum for the wife.

It would depend on the vehicle really.

Some motorhomes are the size of a small flat with every modern convenience and highly efficient heating systems and appliances, this would be vastly different to a small panel van without heating for instance.

Then you would have to consider your partner if you have one. Personally, I love the winter and the cozy feeling of being in a warm van whilst the weather is foul outside, but my mrs wouldn't be so keen if she had to venture out to get fresh water or empty a cassette. I could quite happily full time myself, but I reckon a week maximum for the wife.

Is that model called a TARDUS

I have a driveway with full hookup if you feel the need to do some gardening. I'll make a list of stuff that needs doing (should sort you until ohhhh .... springtime..... 2023)

You're on, Wilde, but first in the queue is the garden makeover of a certain handsome boy & his very attractive wife down t'Midlands way (that's as soon as I get sorted with new van).

I'll put you on my list though, cos I do love the Borders! ;) :D

You're on, Wilde, but first in the queue is the garden makeover of a certain handsome boy & his very attractive wife down t'Midlands way (that's as soon as I get sorted with new van).

How do you feel about the South Downs and the South coast? I'm taking a ticket before you get fully booked :raofl:
My little drive slopes too much but I've got spare bedrooms for a bricks and mortar break :dance:

You seem to have a good plan

For "full-timing" but staying in (different) Bricks and Mortar for times in the winter.
And having something to do (which you like)
Free camping with EHU in return for work and company !

Well sorted !

Anyone out there thought that a life on the road was the life they wanted then regretted it after a winter or after a time?

Rob makes an excellent point re when partners are to consider, I full tinmed alone so didn't have that issue, biggest negatives were laundry and drying it particularly winter months, also MOT time is stressful for in the event of failure it is your home , returning back to bricks and mortar can be frustrating you get used to no bad neighbours and different views , overall I would do it again.

Also there is a leap from long term touring to full time, a lot depends if you have a property to return too in my case I didn't

Channa

We full timed for the first 5 years.
Then the lack of a base and access to the stuff, we'd been storing kicked in. Grandsons arrived and Management wanted a nest.
We realised that we would never want to spend cold, damp months in UK, so bought our Portuguese hovel. It needed a lot of doing up, which we did over 12 annual projects .
It's kept us active, challenged, and given us a chance to interact with our neighbours
When it gets uncomfortably hot , we relish the option to jump in the van and travel...the best of both worlds.
Even better, now that we don't have rigid deadlines to conform to.

Indeed

We full timed for the first 5 years.
Then the lack of a base and access to the stuff, we'd been storing kicked in. Grandsons arrived and Management wanted a nest.
We realised that we would never want to spend cold, damp months in UK, so bought our Portuguese hovel. It needed a lot of doing up, which we did over 12 annual projects .
It's kept us active, challenged, and given us a chance to interact with our neighbours
When it gets uncomfortably hot , we relish the option to jump in the van and travel...the best of both worlds.
Even better, now that we don't have rigid deadlines to conform to.

Detail for us different but end result very similar

Have you tried hanging baskets on the wing mirrors.:lol-053:

You never said you were coming to mine. When did we agree this ? Was drink taken ? Thank's for the "Handsome Boy" bit You do realise I'm a Grandfather !:rolleyes2:

As mentioned elsewhere, Nikki is staying at our daughters house atm. Just before I left her to come home today, she said, re moving, "when we do downsize, I need a bigger house than this ". This being a small terraced new build, tiny kitchen, lounge/diner. Sound familiar ? Motor home ish? I don't have a hope.
Spose I could go on me own.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back