Transit through Switzerland

UFO

We will be travelling from Calais to Chamonix at the start of our next trip. We plan to do this as quickly as possible while avoiding toll roads. The quickest route is through Switzerland, see photo.

What are the implications of transiting through Switzerland in less than one day regarding vignettes and the like?

CE.JPG

Vignette €45 upto 3.5 t
Well worth it the other roads are so slow! The only thing that was cheaper than uk was cigarettes and we don’t smoke make sure your vans full before going in,
Diesel £1.85 ish and in the mountains it was over £2

Last edited:
We will be travelling from Calais to Chamonix at the start of our next trip. We plan to do this as quickly as possible while avoiding toll roads. The quickest route is through Switzerland, see photo.

What are the implications of transiting through Switzerland in less than one day regarding vignettes and the like?

View attachment 132955

According to Google maps it takes less than 30 minutes longer if you just avoid Switzerland.
So, unless you are after Cuckoo Clocks, it could be worth a re-plan.

View attachment 132955

According to google, it appears the route in your pic is a M Way. The route off of M Way is much closer to the lake.

As already mentioned, I'd be tempted to avoid Switzerland too.

Pretty sure I did that route on your map about ten years ago when we visited Geneva and then went onto the French alps and I never bought a Vignette (sub 3.5t) and I dont remember it being motorway either. I just parked on the outskirts of Geneva, used the scooter for the afternoon to see the city then cleared off back into France the other side of Geneva. We popped in and out of Switzerland a lot on that trip and since then. When we did visit Switzerland proper for a few weeks down near Lucern I did buy a Vignette at a service station on a motorway.

We stayed on lakeside campsite in France and took the water taxi into Geneva if my recollection is correct,been a few years back.

According to Google maps it takes less than 30 minutes longer if you just avoid Switzerland.
Yes, I'm inclined to agree. In the context of the overall journey going through Switzerland doesn't make much difference. I was just wondering whether there was an easy way to get through the country.

We transit CH regularly in car and moho. Really easy. Buy annual vignette or >3.5 ton 10 day pass at the border. Sadly no such thing as a day pass.

Married to a Swiss and in Switzeland every year...BUY A VIGNETTE AT BORDER.....if you don't you'll get caught by APNR cameras on autoroutes and instant 1,000 SFRS fine or vehicle impounded....you have been warned!!!!!!

View attachment 132955
Not sure about Vignettes but we passed through Switzerland twice in May and had no problems, borders were unmanned.

1720626695582.png

1720626722002.png

1720626745162.png

1720626782939.png

If you only require a Vignette for Switzerland for motorways (do check that and weights) then just do that route but tell google to avoid tolls and motorways. You get to drive by the lake then as well!

Back