Transit through Glasgow

boyo1414

No, this isn't about white van man dressed in a Kilt and shouting in a strange accent,,,,,,,,,, We're planning our great escape to the Outer Hebridies in May and could use some advice about the best way through Glasgow.

We'll be approaching from the south,,, on the M74,,,,,,,late afternoon on a Saturday and want to head up to a Loch-side lay-by on Lomond for a well earned night's kip before a more relaxed drive up to Skye and the ferry.

In the past we have had terrible trouble getting through the traffic in Glasgow and indeed the last time through we tried to find a less congested route which ended up with us scratching our heads over the map in a street of boarded up apartments with bricks and rubbish all over the road,,, we gave up trying to sort it out and high-tailed it until we found some road-signs,,,,,, we do not want to do that again!!!!

It was after that foray that I invested in Satnav

So if someone could suggest a good way to get through,,, or at least the most efficient way though,,,,, we would be very grateful

Hi unless you really want to go to Loch lomond why not by pass Glasgow head for Stirling then stay on for Callander plenty places to pull in for the night between there and Glen coe area.

Val

Hi Val,, :)

I guess you mean to go M74- M73- A80,,, that looks good. I tend to try the most direct route but via Sterling does look attractive,,, and there's a cafe in Callender,,,,,,

I'll check the mileage,, but there again a few extra miles is nothing compared to fuming in a traffic jam.

Have just checked the mileage, from home in North Wales (with the satnav programmed to a max of 50mph) direct to Kyleakin via Glasgow is 457 miles taking 9.58 hours,,,,,,,, via Sterling and Callander is 460 miles and 9.77 hours.

3 extra miles and an extra 11.5 minutes,,, no contest :)

Hi we lived at Kyle of lochalsh for a good few yrs 15 to be exact and 20 yrs at Fort William before that.and would never have gone there via Loch Lomond and we travelled that road frequent visiting parents in Dumfriesshire.We like Callander lovely chip shop and bakers lol.The loch Lomond road is terrible if its busy it had been upgraded a bit but its still horrible ,unless you want to be there. The scenery is lovely mind.
You also have Fort william you can overnight in the big car park on the way in ,we stay there when visiting friends.
Val

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back