Trackers for Insurance

QFour

New MH and had a Pandora alarm and tracker fitted. The Pandora alarm seems very good and works with the vehicle remote providing you have the bluetooth dongle with you as well. There is an online service and I can log in and see the MH and where it is. I can find it with my Android phone and Tablet. I can turn the engine off to disable it. It even rings me if the alarm goes off. What more do Comfort Insurance want. Well they want a Tracker and Alarm System that is manned 24/7. NFU on the other hand are happy that we have an additional alarm and tracker and gave me a discount of £80. I also mentioned that I was retired and they gave me another discount. I know I could have had a Van Bits alarm fitted but I could not be bothered to drive down and get it done. The alarm we have has bluetooth sensors so no wiring which is great in a new MH. The guy who fitted it came to the house and if I get a problem he is only a few miles away. So if your Insurance Company want a tracker fitted make sure what they want first.

I just asked Caravan Gaurd to email me their approved list of trackers for my new Pilote then trawled through them all checking reviews etc.
They weren’t bothered about an alarm but I had one fitted as well as a tracker, got a discount for having both fitted from same company.
Call centre manned 24/7, app on phone that alerts me of any movement, battery condition, location etc etc.
I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve opened the garage without turning off the alarm, within 30 seconds they call me or as on Saturday because my phone was in the house they called my son who is second on the contact list. £149.00 yearly charge but well worth it imho.

Last edited:
In the summer I bought a new campervan. Now looking for more sensibly priced insurance and completely dumbfounded by the majority of companies only considering it if a tracker is fitted. Turns out to be because it is based on a Ford Transit Custom and made worse by its high value (brand new branded conversion). It seems that a tracker needs to be Thatcham approved to be recognised by insurers and this significantly reduces the choice. I have no issue with the cost of professional installation etc to ensure it is reliable and tamperproof but i struggle with the substantial annual charge that characterises all Thatcham approved trackers.
Without a tracker I have only found 3 insurers ranging from £400-£600/yr. so I feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place.

I would appreciate any advice or to hear any other experiences.
Thanks
Chris

New MH and had a Pandora alarm and tracker fitted. The Pandora alarm seems very good and works with the vehicle remote providing you have the bluetooth dongle with you as well. There is an online service and I can log in and see the MH and where it is. I can find it with my Android phone and Tablet. I can turn the engine off to disable it. It even rings me if the alarm goes off. What more do Comfort Insurance want. Well they want a Tracker and Alarm System that is manned 24/7. NFU on the other hand are happy that we have an additional alarm and tracker and gave me a discount of £80. I also mentioned that I was retired and they gave me another discount. I know I could have had a Van Bits alarm fitted but I could not be bothered to drive down and get it done. The alarm we have has bluetooth sensors so no wiring which is great in a new MH. The guy who fitted it came to the house and if I get a problem he is only a few miles away. So if your Insurance Company want a tracker fitted make sure what they want first.
We have a pet one. Made for dogs, fine for vans 😂

No alarms of tracers here, just my home made pedal and wheel lock.
p lock d.jpg
p lock c.jpg
p lock b.jpg
p lock a.jpg

Cannot see them trying, i also have a chain round the s/wheel to the top loop on the clamp, if someone wants something they will always find a way round security sys, all you can do is slow them down or hope they will move on to an easy one elsewhere.

Cannot see them trying, i also have a chain round the s/wheel to the top loop on the clamp, if someone wants something they will always find a way round security sys, all you can do is slow them down or hope they will move on to an easy one elsewhere.

It would be a simple job Trev, just cut the pedals off just short of the rubber foot pad and pull the whole thing forward, it would still be driveable, they do it all the time.

I also have a Disklok on mine, again pros know how to remove them. I think it's a matter of having as many things as possible to put them off so a tracker is a good thing in my view.

It would be a simple job Trev, just cut the pedals off just short of the rubber foot pad and pull the whole thing forward, it would still be driveable, they do it all the time.

I also have a Disklok on mine, again pros know how to remove them. I think it's a matter of having as many things as possible to put them off so a tracker is a good thing in my view.
After they have cut it off Trev hits them with it ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

In the summer I bought a new campervan. Now looking for more sensibly priced insurance and completely dumbfounded by the majority of companies only considering it if a tracker is fitted. Turns out to be because it is based on a Ford Transit Custom and made worse by its high value (brand new branded conversion). It seems that a tracker needs to be Thatcham approved to be recognised by insurers and this significantly reduces the choice. I have no issue with the cost of professional installation etc to ensure it is reliable and tamperproof but i struggle with the substantial annual charge that characterises all Thatcham approved trackers.
Without a tracker I have only found 3 insurers ranging from £400-£600/yr. so I feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place.

I would appreciate any advice or to hear any other experiences.
Thanks
Chris
To provide completion to this query. I obtained insurance with AXA through Lifesure. I have had to apply to the DVLA for a change in category from a Van with Windows to a Motocaravan which was duly rejected. Lifesure simply required a copy of the (expected) rejection letter accompanied by photos. The insurance was about £230 with 7 yrs NCD. I know there are loads of factors that affect insurance costs but this was a success for me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back