tiresome problem

snowgoose

Hi folk,I have a wee problem with my oven door. It is a "SPINFLOW" I think the name on the door "CARA" will be the model.The problem is the door is of the drop down type,the retaining catch is a peg on the main body & a terry type clip fitted in the door. Problem is the door will no longer stay shut when travelling,I use the oven to store my pans in but every so often when cornering there is a heck of a crash & everything lands on the floor,apart from having to pick everything up my main concern is dammage to the door & hinge when it crashes open,the door is constructed of two sheets of glass.
Does anyone else have or had this type of oven door,& had this problem,if so any suggestions as to how I can overcome this problem,at the moment the only thing I can think of is a length of wood from the floor thro both the handle of the oven & grill doors not very glamourus but fairly effective.So please I hope someone can think of a better solution.Thank you.
snowgoose.

In My Merlin the grill door handle is directly above the oven handle, and in both handles a hole is drilled and a steel hook , like a tent peg but longer is passed through the top handle and in to the bottom one .

That seems to work ok and doesnt look too unsightly

Steve

In My Merlin the grill door handle is directly above the oven handle, and in both handles a hole is drilled and a steel hook , like a tent peg but longer is passed through the top handle and in to the bottom one .

That seems to work ok and doesnt look too unsightly

Steve

We used to have a caravan with a similar set up, by the look of it I always assumed it was original.

Snowgoose

Can you not fit a magnetic one on as a extra.Can bond on to glass ,and screw the plate ,to the oven.Had two one either side on my old oven did the job,use to keep pans in no problem.

Oven problem

Thanks fer the suggestions gang, but think I have solved the problem permanently , or more to the point had it solved for me.The van has FAILED MOT big time,once more the tin worm has struck AGAIN.possible to maybe overcome it with welding BUT at a cost of maybe £600+.As I have spent over £1500 in the last 18month or so to keep it on the road I think it is time to say by by.Not sure what to do with it now a shame really as other than that it's still in good heart giving me 30+mpg,So my sojourn North is deffinitley OFF.Anyway I still thank you for all suggestions.
snowgoose.

Hello Snowgoose,
Think carefully about your problem.
Remember first you would be giving up guaranteed holidays at a moments notice, and second surely it would be cheaper to repair than to purchase another van.

The choice is yours.
With friendly greetings,
Ian and Eileen

Last edited:
I agree with Ian and Eileen. You know you Camper inside out. It has served you well. Consider the cost of replacing it and what it will cost you to get it through an MOT. Surely it MAY be wiser to look at the pro's and con's before you dip your hand into your pocket. The ball is in your court. I am sure you will make the right decesion. Good luck.

Don't give up.

Hi, what van is it and what exactly did it fail on, any MOT /tax left to move it? maybe I can help.

Snowgoose can you not find someone that would do the welding at a better price for you.:)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back