Thinking of buying new/used camper

jennyp19

After just spending 6 weeks travelling in Europe, we have decided we might take the plunge and get a camper - the sprinter is getting a bit old (according to oh) and I think I would like a bit more luxury. We are still toying with the idea of getting a new lwbh sprinter, and converting it, but the prices seem rather high and I'm not sure on how good the insulation can be on a conversion.
Is there somewhere to look to find the relevant questions to ask when buying?
I have picked up quite a few pointers from here, but would like to make up some sort of a list to take with me, and be every salespersons nightmare by appearing a little bit knowledgeable.

Last edited:
I'd do the rounds of the motorhome dealers just as a tyre kicker - look, ask, never commit. Make notes of what interior features appeal to you, which dont, which ones you cant live with and without. Try renting different styles and see what suits best. I'd also have a good look at used vans as there are some great layouts on vehicles going back to the 70s. Also having a look at used vans will give you an idea as to how well they have been built - formica peeling up, leaking shower etc will all be easy to spot.

I personally cant live with a low ceiling as I'm 6'1" and the thought of bending my neck for 6 months would kill me.

If you are a committed wild camper then there are a few things that wont affect you if you stay on sites - its nice to have 100 litres of water storage. A waste water storage tank so that you dont drop waste where you are camping. External toilet cassette - having a fixed waste dump valve is a real pain if you cant find a drive over toilet disposal, at least with a cassette you can use any public toilet.

Fixed gas tank, lot easier than lugging bottles about. Most European countries have Autogas and its easy to fill up with a set of adaptors. My 20 litre tank lasts about 3 months.

Think about where you want to go touring. If you like driving on small roads in the Alps then its not a great idea to have a 2.5m wide and 10m long motorhome, they are also hard to wild camp discretely. If you prefer a motorway to Spain and then a campsite then big is ok - apart from fuel consumption. Smaller vehicles can get you into some truly amazing country, and you get to wake upto to million dollar views.

If the fitout includes a lot of 240V appliances you are committing yourself to having either a generator, inverter or staying on powered sites. Roof mounted air conditioners are usually 240V hookup, whilst there are inverter models they chew through the batteries. Have a look for some air con that is connected to the vehicle unit.

Heating might be as important as air con.

Build quality of the interior - I am always amazed at the number of builders who get away with square corners on panels - rounded and trimmed is always better for safety.

I'm sure someone else will be along to put their point of view as well.

Yes square corners can be a serious hazzard as i found out the hard way.:):eek:
IMG_0059.jpg

Thanks Roger theres certainly a few bits there to look out for. OH is 6ft, so he's always aware of the height, and we are not small people so definatley need space. We have noticed that a lot of the vans seem to be very claustophobic. A lot of the new campers have good sized showers, which is a definate "must have" for us. I am pleased you mentioned about the air con and battery ~ should have known, but hadn't given it a lot of thought.
Definately think the External Toilet cassette is a good idea.

Last edited:
That looks as though it hurt Trevor, My OH hates our cooker hood at home for the same reason ~ very sharp corners ~ good excuse for him not to even attempt to cook though.

That looks as though it hurt Trevor, My OH hates our cooker hood at home for the same reason ~ very sharp corners ~ good excuse for him not to even attempt to cook though.

I did not feel a thing, but i had a good piankiller a full bottle of Jack Daniels.:D

.....and a large drinks cabinet, or maybe a Jack Daniels tank?

rain and midges, wee darlings !

dont even consider a fixed bed,(waste of space ) ! and i think a rear lounge is an asset especially in scotland so you can supervise the rain with a large malt!

dont even consider a fixed bed,(waste of space ) ! and i think a rear lounge is an asset especially in scotland so you can supervise the rain with a large malt!

Have to disagree with steve4kay. Love my fixed bed.

I used to hate having to make the bed up Ive a fixed bunk and a bed over the cab

Hi mate

dont even consider a fixed bed,(waste of space ) ! And i think a rear lounge is an asset especially in scotland so you can supervise the rain with a large malt!

nothing 2 do with the blog just joined and thouth say hi iam full time my self in yhe south of spain:

nothing 2 do with the blog just joined and thouht say hi .iam a full timer in south of spain me my pregnant girlfriend andrea and sergio our rescued dog all in our old lady 1988 hymer camp

Have to disagree with steve4kay. Love my fixed bed.

Absolutely Galway, would not have a van without a fixed bed, ours is bliss and for afternoon feet up reading and maybe a doze its the biz. I think all those that knock a fixed bed have never experienced the sheer luxury of not having to do the late night ........ right, you move all that stuff onto the front seat ... put that outside .... lets put all the day gear away.... open the lockers , get out the bedding ... do you need a wee before I pull out the slats.... ouch, trapped me finger.... hang on this has to go in the locker before we make up the bed..... right you hold that end and .... did you get the pillows out , right now which way are we sleeping where are the van keys.... oh no there in the locker........

Sod that for a game of soldiers ... I just finish my malt,clean my teeth, pull back the duvet and fall into bed..... WASTE OF SPACE!!!!!!, its the best use of space known to man.:)

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back