Thetford toilet probs

Trish

Hiya! Thanks for adding me to the group. We have just bought a Hymer B584 - 2002. We have several problems with it including a problem with a non-flushing toilet. We can't understand what the symbol in the top pic means. Is it a manual flush? The fuse near the cassette is OK. We're a bit mystified! 🙄
Can anyone help please? IMG-20240902-WA0002~2.jpgIMG-20240902-WA0000.jpgIMG-20240902-WA0001.jpg

As I understand it - press blue button to flush - is there water in the tank is there the sound of a pump working? - The symbol means that the cassette needs emptying (is full) perhaps this stops one flushing when it is full (or thinks it is full) I don't know.
Welcome by the way!

Some toilets use water from the main fresh water tank to flush, others have a separate tank.

First thing is to tell us which type you have, each type has it own set of probable causes on non flushing.

Those with a separate tank have a water fill point on the outside of the van, where the toilet is.
It is about the size of a cigarette packet and looks like this
1725294435828.png

Most common cause of flushing for this type is no water in flush tank (usually use the same key as other external lockers)
Next most likely cause is the impeller needs cleaning. 30 minute job with lots of vids on yt. e.g.

The most common cause for toilets using the main water tank not working is a blown fuse.

From memory this version of Hymer uses the main tank to flush the toilet by pressing the blue button. If you can't hear a pump running when you press the blue button then it will be an electrical fault. Before you do anything else, take the cassette out and look inside the void to make sure there aren't any disconnected wires.

To summarise

a) Get rid of the Cassette full warning light
The symbol means that the cassette needs emptying (is full) perhaps this stops one flushing when it is full (or thinks it is full)
If the tank is empty give the inside of the tank a thorough clean in case something has jammed on the level check mechanism.

b)Decide if the flush water is from the main water tank or a separate tank
From memory this version of Hymer uses the main tank
Never trust the memory of anyone in this group (Sorry Val54)
Those with a separate tank have a water fill point on the outside of the van, where the toilet is.
It is about the size of a cigarette packet and looks like this
View attachment 134756

If it is a separate tank use "d"; main tank use "c".

c) Main tank Easiest first
c1)
take the cassette out and look inside the void to make sure there aren't any disconnected wires.
and while you are in there check for fuse. Some models have a fuse in there and they are notorious for blowing or having a bad connection with the fuse holder

c2) Put a multimeter across the valve and see if you are getting 12v when the blue button is pressed.
c2a) If you aren't getting 12v it is an electrical fault. Time to start testing to identify whereabouts it is.
c2b) If you are getting 12v it is probably a faulty valve.
Remove the valve; try fixing or replace

d) Separate tank Easiest first
d1)
Most common cause of flushing for this type is no water in flush tank
Fill with water to overflowing (usually use the same key as other external lockers).
It may take several attempts to draw water through because all the pipework will be airlocked.
Always drain this tank after a trip.

d2)
Next most likely cause is the impeller needs cleaning. 30 minute job with lots of vids on YT
e.g.

Good Luck, please let us know how you get on.

Really grateful for all your replies. Lots of ideas to try anyway. We are working (volunteering) in the morning but we will get back on it tomorrow afternoon.
Will certainly let you know how we get on.
Thank you.

Where abouts are you in the country ? Some of the more switched on people might volunteer to take a look for you

A clog dancer perhaps.

If it has its own tank there may be a clear vertical pipe inside the cassette door to show water level

From memory this version of Hymer uses the main tank to flush the toilet by pressing the blue button. If you can't hear a pump running when you press the blue button then it will be an electrical fault. Before you do anything else, take the cassette out and look inside the void to make sure there aren't any disconnected wires.
I have a 2002 Hymer584, and it does not have a separate water tank. As Val54 said, you should hear the pump running when you press the blue button. if you can't, then it is an electrical fault, if you can hear the pump running it could be a blockage in the water pipe.
I presume that all the taps work normally

Not sure what you are asking.
Do you mean "is the pump switched on?"
Same as tezza33 is saying.. switch on control panel needs to be on along with the water pump.
I had a ci that needed the light switch on to work...
Guess people change wiring to their needs

Really appreciate all the help, hubby's been investigating all your suggestions, and found a loose connection on the wiring in the cassette compartment, so he is now fully au fait with the workings of the loo. I'm going to make him a certificate! 😀 Great group this! THANK YOU 👏👏

Back