The Fish at Wixford.

It's a pity. That used to be one of our favourites as they always dressed the place up along some theme or other. Mary Poppins and Easter being two I remember. Wonderfully whacky and off the wall! I'd pay a tenner to stop there if the old owner's tradition is being maintained -- although I'd be less inclined to dine.

TBH, I'm seeing more and more pubs now charging. Two examples:
  • We used to use the Fromebridge Mill in Whitminster Nr Gloucester until they started charging a tenner. We'd have happily paid a tenner if the food was guaranteed to be good -- but it had been hit and miss for some time before we started to use another pub nearby that lets you overnight for free and has consistently good food.
  • The Ship Inn at Polmear, Par, St Austell now charges £15. They say it's because some motorhomers were 'taking the p155' by using their car park to visit Par beach (five minutes walk away) and sometimes not even buying a drink. We stop there because we participate in the ukulele jam they host once a month -- but we no longer dine (although we would if they knocked the parking fee off the bill)!

It's a pity. That used to be one of our favourites as they always dressed the place up along some theme or other. Mary Poppins and Easter being two I remember. Wonderfully whacky and off the wall! I'd pay a tenner to stop there if the old owner's tradition is being maintained -- although I'd be less inclined to dine.

• We used to use the Fromebridge Mill in Whitminster Nr Gloucester until they started charging a tenner. We'd have happily paid a tenner if the food was guaranteed to be good -- but it had been hit and miss for some time before we started to use another pub nearby that lets you overnight for free and has consistently good food.
  • The Ship Inn at Polmear, Par, St Austell now charges £15. They say it's because some motorhomers were 'taking the p155' by using their car park to visit Par beach (five minutes walk away) and sometimes not even buying a drink. We stop there because we participate in the ukulele jam they host once a month -- but we no longer dine (although we would if they knocked the parking fee off the bill)!

That's a shame Geoff, the Fromebridge Mill was always a great stopover, but as you said the food could be a bit hit and miss.

Easily fixed . Charge a fee but refund when spent at bar

I read your review on The Fish Geoff, that decided us to give it a try. The phone call we had with them rather soured our enthusiasm.

I read your review on The Fish Geoff, that decided us to give it a try. The phone call we had with them rather soured our enthusiasm.
Sorry about that -- it truly was one of the best we've ever stopped at. As I wrote upthread, I'd happily pay a tenner if the only thing that's changed is the name over the door. If you're ever round my way and are looking for another 'off the wall' pub stop, you could do worse than The Highwayman Inn in Sourton, near Okehampton. The food is OK but nothing special (I suspect catering ready meals pinged to order) and it's only open 3½ days a week, but the décor and owners are something else. GPS is (50.6940, -4.0764) and website is https://www.thehighwaymaninn.net/ -- some photos of inside on bar/food page (but there's so much more!). Quick caveat: we last stopped there at the end of February last year so 'due diligence' might be in order ;)

Sorry about that -- it truly was one of the best we've ever stopped at. As I wrote upthread, I'd happily pay a tenner if the only thing that's changed is the name over the door. If you're ever round my way and are looking for another 'off the wall' pub stop, you could do worse than The Highwayman Inn in Sourton, near Okehampton. The food is OK but nothing special (I suspect catering ready meals pinged to order) and it's only open 3½ days a week, but the décor and owners are something else. GPS is (50.6940, -4.0764) and website is https://www.thehighwaymaninn.net/ -- some photos of inside on bar/food page (but there's so much more!). Quick caveat: we last stopped there at the end of February last year so 'due diligence' might be in order ;)
No apologies necessary Geoff. The Highwayman sounds interesting, will definitely give it a try if ever down that way.
One of our favourite quirky pubs is the Three Stags Head at Wardlow Mires, Derbyshire. If you give it a go, don't wear lycra, or let your mobile ring, be prepared to be outnumbered by dogs and don't be surprised to see birds of prey perched on chairs.
Oh, and Pat the landlady is known to climb on the tables and sing raucous songs whilst supping copious amounts of vodka!

No apologies necessary Geoff. The Highwayman sounds interesting, will definitely give it a try if ever down that way.
One of our favourite quirky pubs is the Three Stags Head at Wardlow Mires, Derbyshire. If you give it a go, don't wear lycra, or let your mobile ring, be prepared to be outnumbered by dogs and don't be surprised to see birds of prey perched on chairs.
Oh, and Pat the landlady is known to climb on the tables and sing raucous songs whilst supping copious amounts of vodka!
Thanks Ral -- looks interesting. I would otherwise have discounted it as I can't see where to park on Google Maps. FWIW, we normally use the Squinting Cat in Harrogate when we're around that area, but The Three Stags Head will be a good one to add to my shortlist provided they can accommodate our 7.5m van. Thanks again ...

Thanks Ral -- looks interesting. I would otherwise have discounted it as I can't see where to park on Google Maps. FWIW, we normally use the Squinting Cat in Harrogate when we're around that area, but The Three Stags Head will be a good one to add to my shortlist provided they can accommodate our 7.5m van. Thanks again ...
It's a small carpark across the road, we've parked our 7m with no problem. Just be careful of the guinea pigs that run around the carpark. If you manage to catch one pop it over the wall where there is a stone pen.
There is an old garage next door that is now a cafe, we have parked there also but left early before opening time.

Charging customers for parking overnight is just wrong

Could also be illegal??
I don't think that's the case as they're only doing what the council do when they charge you to park so you can spend money at adjacent shops!

As I wrote upthread, more pubs are doing this; and for various reasons. In the case of the Ship Inn in Par, it's because motorhomers were taking the p155 and using the pub car park to enjoy the nearby beach without actually putting any money over the counter. In the case of another pub I visited this lunchtime (details below), the landlord has extended the car park to be able to accommodate motorhomes and it costs him to maintain that space. He charges £10 to overnight (but nothing if you don't stop over) as that partly offsets the additional cost.

The pub above is The Boat and Anchor Inn, Huntswork, Nr Bridgewater, Somerset. GPS coords are (51.1103, -2.9816) and it's super convenient for the M5. We stopped for lunch and the food was excellent and reasonably priced. It's a free house; so large selection of drink. Also, the landlord and landlady were super friendly. (I've also submitted this one to the location app)

I don't think that's the case as they're only doing what the council do when they charge you to park so you can spend money at adjacent shops!

<snip>
One obvious difference is that the council probably prohibits sleeping in the vehicle overnight, whereas the pub is actually charging for sleeping in the vehicle overnight.

Back