Received ......... Telly wanted

oppy

Hi folks, has anyone got a 12v telly that will do for our 'van salted away and gathering dust? Ours has taken sick leave, so if you are embarrassed by hoarding excess stuff and it is not too expensive, can we 'ave it--------------------------------------pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease
Ta

Others will guide you peter but a lot of new ones sold in the supermarkets will work on 12 volt . If no one can help

Others will guide you peter but a lot of new ones sold in the supermarkets will work on 12 volt . If no one can help
Interesting. Will have to excuse my ignorance, but how would we set that up?

Interesting. Will have to excuse my ignorance, but how would we set that up?
Most small tvs are dual voltage i.e they have a mains adaptor and the output to the tv is 12 volts , so in a moho you would use a 12v socket.

Most small tvs are dual voltage i.e they have a mains adaptor and the output to the tv is 12 volts , so in a moho you would use a 12v socket.
Yes, and no - be wary!
The TVs that have a transformer to convert 240V mains to a 12V DC supply have a REGULATED transformer and they expect a consistant and specific 12V supply. A motorhome leisure battery system may be called a "12V" system and sockets called "12V sockets" but the output is anything but 12V!
If you just bypass the transformer and plug a TV that wants 12V into a motorhome, you run the risk of damaging it - usually beyond economic repair - as soon as you put a battery charger on and the "12V" voltage goes to 14V and beyond.
lots of people will have had no problems of course, and that's great for them - but maybe you will be one of the ones who blew up their TV (or lights, or other domestic products designed to work on 12V precisely, and not a range of voltage from 11V - 14.5V)

So the question is ....

We were given an inverter a while ago - Challenge xtreme - 500w (to 800w)

On the other hand I have wondered about getting the Cello C16230FT2S2 16" model on this Amazon list (only 1 left at the moment):

Last edited:
The Cellos I think are well-liked as a budget option. I have a 16" Cello TV/DVD and it is ok. Not outstanding, but for the price paid compared to an Avtex, perfectly acceptable IMO. Many people seem to hate the sound output, but seemed fine to me. The thing I don't like about it much is that you need to be directly in front to see the screen - if you are sat much at an angle the picture becomes useless (like LCD monitors used to be when they first came out).
Came with a 12V (regulated) plug as well as 240V option.

Oppy I recently bust the screen on our so plugged in a 240v 32" JVC tv through a 300w inverter. The whole setup with a Fire Stick plugged in it as well is under 2.4amps draw. From what some other have told me that's less than some of the 12v tv's use and they are an awful lot cheaper

Every one has forgot one thing,even if some one had a 12v tv it is not esn goods and you cannot go get it as unes/travel.
So all you can do is dream about it until things get back to normal,may be longer than you think. :cry:

Every one has forgot one thing,even if some one had a 12v tv it is not esn goods and you cannot go get it as unes/travel.
So all you can do is dream about it until things get back to normal,may be longer than you think. :cry:

Love the shorthand Trev.

Unfortunately you are right.

Think Aldi are doing one, 21 inch I think but definitely 12v.

Cheers

H

Yes, and no - be wary!
The TVs that have a transformer to convert 240V mains to a 12V DC supply have a REGULATED transformer and they expect a consistant and specific 12V supply. A motorhome leisure battery system may be called a "12V" system and sockets called "12V sockets" but the output is anything but 12V!
If you just bypass the transformer and plug a TV that wants 12V into a motorhome, you run the risk of damaging it - usually beyond economic repair - as soon as you put a battery charger on and the "12V" voltage goes to 14V and beyond.
lots of people will have had no problems of course, and that's great for them - but maybe you will be one of the ones who blew up their TV (or lights, or other domestic products designed to work on 12V precisely, and not a range of voltage from 11V - 14.5V)

If you have a Sargent installation the 12 volt outlets are powered by a voltage regulated circuit. In this instance mains charging or solar charging of the leisure batteries is not a problem.

You would still need to be wary if you add a third party solar charge regulator connected directly to the leisure batteries.

I have one in the garage it has hardly ever been used but have mislaid the power lead you are welcome to it
That's very kind of you, thanks. Where abouts are you in this wonderful land are you?

If you find a TV that runs off a 12v adapter, you can run it off the motorhome's 12v supply, but not directly.
You really do need to run it through a gizmo that limits the voltage to a nice smooth 12v, not the 12v to 15v your batteries supply. These devices are readily available on eBay etc, sold as "12v buck regulator" and only costing a few pounds.
The thing to be careful of is polarity. Wire the +12v and 0v connections into it the wrong way and it instantly turns into a "0v bust regulator"

They have these things called "couriers" nowadays I think? and you can even book a courier to come to your house and collect goods to send away. Typical cost for UK Mainland to UK Mainland for something the size of a smallish TV will be under a tenner.

Yes, we've just received an order of a batch of printer ink cartridges - got to us within 3 days.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back