Television Addict Needs Help

Re: Signal Boosters

My 'old' caravan had an omni Status aerial plus 12v booster - please note these units are CRAP!!!!, however my new motorhome came with a Status directional unit plus box and it's brilliant!! So I gues it's pot luck!

Maplins do some plug in boosters, my 240v home unit is quite good, but I've not seen a 12v unit.

Curry's also so sell a 15" LCD with or without DVD and when you look round the back it is fed via a 12v 4amp power supply!!! Yet the spotty herbert said "We only sell 240v tellys!"

I run a Goodmans 10" 12v/240v TV which has been great for many years but is a little small for the larger motorhome - will be going cheap if it's of use to you once we've been to the Jan sales!

Ditto...

"Curry's also so sell a 15" LCD with or without DVD and when you look round the back it is fed via a 12v 4amp power supply!!! Yet the spotty herbert said "We only sell 240v tellys!"

Same as Asda's spotty Herberts!

TV Power figures (And electric blankets!)

Having been meaning to try this for some time I have set up the following:-
20amp 12v power supply with a Fluke digital multimeter in-line.

My inverter is a cheap Power Star square wave inverter, the sort you can buy almost anywhere these days, it's spec' is 240v ac out 140w continuous, 200w for 2mins, 400w peak for 10secs.

My 'normal' 12v 10" tv is rated on the rear lable as 2.5amps/55watts.
My 'home' portable is a 14" 240v rated on the rear lable as 34watts.

On plugging the inverter into the power supply it draws 0.37amp/4.4watts no load, on plugging the 14" TV in after an initial peak kick of almost 10amps it settles within a couple of secs to 3.58amps = 42.96watts the same as one headlamp on dip beam!

I can therefore see NO reason why a 300w inverter running a similar size TV should trip out after 2mins - unless its 300w peak rather than continuous.

My mate who has a VW camper without central heating is trying a 240v/80w electric over blanket to keep warm!! This draws 8amps so will be taking some measurements for us, theoretically it should run for 10hrs on an 80amp hr battery; but will of course trip out a lot earlier due to the inverter sencing a low voltage - he is hoping for 4-6hrs which he thinks is more than adequate to warm the bed and get to sleep before feeling cold - we'll let you know.

Cheaper 12 volt T.V's

wynnielafreak said:
My 240 volt Television cuts out my 300 watt inverter after a matter of minutes, even on a fully charged battery should I invest in a 12 volt TV or should I be thinking differently ? got a couple of months before I go full time so no rush.Ive also just odered a battery powered booster ariel off Ebay so I can get a signal more often, do they really work ?
thanks
wyn
Hi, I have just got a 'ONN' tv form ASDA at 200 quid. 17 inch widescreen model that plugs direct into 250 volt or 12 volts LCD terrific pic and uses 48 watts. there is a 15 inch model too
Cheers and happy new year to all.

edforth said:
Hi, I have just got a 'ONN' tv form ASDA at 200 quid. 17 inch widescreen model that plugs direct into 250 volt or 12 volts LCD terrific pic and uses 48 watts. there is a 15 inch model too
Cheers and happy new year to all.

And the 15" model is only £99!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back