Tax Chain ????

Hazy-thoughts

Right I wonder if anyone can help with this :confused:

I have recently contacted a dealer selling a Hymer and fired off a hundred and one questions as you do.

One of these was

"When was the timing belt last changed.

His reply " The engine has no timing belt but a tax Chain " :eek:

What is a tax chain, and does it need to be replaced like a timing belt :confused::confused:

I think you must have missheard him. Its a timing chain, and you dont have to replace them like belts. The only thing that sometimes happen is that the chain self adjusting tensioners sometimes go, which sounds horrendous when they do because the chain makes a loud rattling noise, but this doesnt do any damage to the engine and you can drive to the garage to get it fixed.
I'd rather have a chain than a belt anyday.

Last edited:
my answer is walk away leave well alone if a dealer cannot understand the basics of a engine and cannot give the correct terminology then the man is a fool you will be better of buying elsewhere.

Sorry I should have been a little more specific

The van is a 1996 Hymer with a merc chassis
The chap is a German dealer, and replied via e mail, so it may have just been a translation problem I spose.

So if it has a timing chain thats a good thing ??

"So if it has a timing chain thats a good thing ??"

Most definitely.

Merc timing chain

Im not sure, but am led to believe that the Merc is a timing chain.

Jon

I think he's refering to a Morse chain. Roller cam chains went out the century before the last one. Can in the right circumstances last the lifetime of an engine...given a chance & good lubrication.

D.

belt changes? there a bit of fun, aren't they?
Changing a belt every 5 years is IMHO asking for trouble. I have seen too many engines where the belt has let go at as little as 6k miles

Every two years for a low use vehicle should be fine.

bet you didn't want to hear that :eek:

Thankfully it is starting to sound like I wont need to Baloo :)

Right chaps, I have spoken to both the dealers I am presently talking to about their respective vans and can confirm that it is indeed a Timing Chain not a tax chain :rolleyes:

So thanks again to all of you. :)

The handbooks recommend every 5 years or on mileage and it is an expensive job:(

double dogs bums - Is it not of the ones that you could learn to do your self?
Is it on a Fiat or a Merc engine?

the earlier merc engines were fitted with timing chains usually good for 100 thousand miles without attention, due for some work when you hear a rattle from them , worked on these engines when i was a mechanic, bullet proof . but can be involved to change the tensioner . the newer engines are fitted with a cam belt change when specified mileage or length of time fitted 5 years a bit iffy to me more like 3 for peace of mind easy ish to change (if you are used to the work ) sounds expensive at a garage but think of a replacemet engine if the dam thing sheads a tooth or two .

Fiat Ducato, but couldn't be bothered to do it myself:eek:
my beddy when i got it i was told it had had a belt fitted recently mmmmm?? a local garage quoted me over 100 quid to change cam belt :eek::eek: did it myself 12 quid for the belt and a twenty minute job including tea and scones :D:D.

the earlier merc engines were fitted with timing chains usually good for 100 thousand miles without attention, due for some work when you hear a rattle from them , worked on these engines when i was a mechanic, bullet proof . but can be involved to change the tensioner . the newer engines are fitted with a cam belt change when specified mileage or length of time fitted 5 years a bit iffy to me more like 3 for peace of mind easy ish to change (if you are used to the work ) sounds expensive at a garage but think of a replacemet engine if the dam thing sheads a tooth or two .

Come to think of it my other van:eek:;) suffers from a bit of vibration at certain revs and on start up:confused:, I wonder if the timing chain tensioner could be the problem. Think I,ll try and source a new tensioner before stripping it down:cool:, Oh and by the way Graham (Mandrake) you hav,nt got twenty minutes to spare:eek::p have you?:D, I,ll keep you in tea and scones:rolleyes:

Fiat Ducato, but couldn't be bothered to do it myself:eek:

Okey-Dokey, I'll put Autodata back on the shelf then :D
Regarding time to do the job: Fords, until latest piece of ***t, took around an hour to and hour and a half. The old LTs looked like a bit of a B because of the engine being under that cover in the cab.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that the Iveco 2.5 turbo cambelt can be done in about 20 mins,,,,but i spoz its old these days !! :cool:

Come to think of it my other van:eek:;) suffers from a bit of vibration at certain revs and on start up:confused:, I wonder if the timing chain tensioner could be the problem. Think I,ll try and source a new tensioner before stripping it down:cool:, Oh and by the way Graham (Mandrake) you hav,nt got twenty minutes to spare:eek::p have you?:D, I,ll keep you in tea and scones:rolleyes:

bit longer on those engines, the old beddy is easy to work on nothing complicated at all and best of all plenty of room to get to all the parts you are working on .

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back