Tag Axle Leveling

888dee

did a search but couldn't find anything....

can any one tell me what the recommended way to level a tag axle equiped van?

2 or 3 blocks?

sorry, yes I meant side to side and should have been clearer, it's an alko non-air sprung rear :)

tag axle levelling

Lot's of short blocks of wood!
Use your ramp for front wheel then use wooden blocks on back wheel (only need to use one wheel for now ) just till you know how thick a ramp block you need then space this out so both back wheels sit nice and square on top of your blocks
Watched an old bloke does this on site once, mind he had a length of wood plank the correct space for his rear tag he used the front tag wheel at the rear of the plank and when he was happy with the level just put the correct amount of blocks in place at the front of the plank and drove forward into place and bobs your granny perfect level
Clever old bloke:):)

did a search but couldn't find anything....

can any one tell me what the recommended way to level a tag axle equiped van?

2 or 3 blocks?
Hi Dee, I have a tag axle Hymer, had it for four years now. To level side to side you only need the same as a 4 wheeled van, you do not need to use both wheels to raise unless you are going to be there for months. Just put your ramps in front of front wheel and one in front of rear wheel and drive on as you would with a 4 wheel. the axles at the rear will find their own level (being independantly sprung) and one wheel will level you perfectly, unless you are overloaded drastically. If you want to spread things out a bit, drive on the first time, and the next time you park reverse on(so both axles get used) but there really is no need. I have watched nutters trying to use both wheels, and they get ramps, blocks you name it trapped between the two rear wheels, and they take some getting out......Bob

thanks bob, that was my thoughts but only having had the bus 6 weeks and I wanted to hear how others managed it...

Youre welcome dee, just to add a little more to my quote, once youve got the van up on the ramps, if I,m stayin for a few days I use one of my adjustable jacks(the triangle shaped ones with a T bar that you use as steadiers) to brace that side either side of the wheel to just take any movement out, then theres no overloading that one axle. Hope you can understand my gumff dee, anything else just send me a pm......Bob

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back