Table Repair

vera

We have just returned from 2 weeks wildcamping in Scotland which was fabulous, when i was cleaning out the van yesterday I noticed that our table has got a small dent mark,we think it may of been a plug or battery landing on it out of the overhead cupboards.Has anyone any tips for an easy repair we thought about wood filler Maybe??

Hi Vera,
Had the same thing in the Eldiss a few years ago. Found out that the table was two pieces of thin laminate - used to save weight - I used wood filler, it looked OK and lasted.

Dezi

I've been told you can actually iron dents out of wooden table tops.
I've never tried it myself, and I guess it will depend on what wood the table is made from - might be worth a try.
I belive you fill the dent with icy cold water, then place a damp cloth on the table, then the iron ontop of the cloth for a few seconds - maybe an old wifes tale though?

EDIT: Just googled, found this, theres other sites that give simmilar instructions:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2079871_remove-dents-from-wooden-table.html

Also:
Place a damp cloth over the area and iron over it with a medium heat iron to start with,let it cool for a few minutes and try again with a hotter iron,the idea is that the steam produced lifts the grain of the wood,use only the tip of the iron and don't press on it,trial end error I'm afraid.

Last edited:
dent

Thanks for that wez
most of the vans are now laminate tops

in fact we have just dropped a can onto our table
breaking through the laminate.
has any one found a filler that will fix this
as there is no solid behind the finish?

lets hear you Ideas

weez
Tony

Try using the same principle we used to use on our old bangers, bit of wire mesh poked through the hole and help on from behind with a dob of filler, let it dry and then fill over it. You can get the really fine mesh from any car shop in the fibreglass section.

ours has a pretty big dent right in the middle :(

I've filled it with silicon sealant as a temporary measure but am now going to look for a sheet of something to recover the whole surface

Magnum motorhomes have some surplus stock table tops at the moment, reasonable prices, variety of sizes and colours, I paid £20 for mine!

table repair

Depends on colour and finish of table.I have used a body filler with a tiny drop of paint in it to get the colour right.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back