Table Covering

Kontiki

I have decided to replace the existing table in our van (it's the type that hooks on the sidewall with a leg on the other end) to the island leg type, I have the floor socket, leg & mounting socket for the table. I want to make the table reasonably light so I am making it with a frame & plywood (also have a few other ideas to make it a bit more versatile, will post pics if I get it worked out :rolleyes:) . Problem I am finding is for a suitable covering, you use to be able to buy formica or similar laminate you could glue on. I've tried the local diy type shops & none of them seem to stock it. Does anybody know where I can buy a piece big enough for a table?

I have decided to replace the existing table in our van (it's the type that hooks on the sidewall with a leg on the other end) to the island leg type, I have the floor socket, leg & mounting socket for the table. I want to make the table reasonably light so I am making it with a frame & plywood (also have a few other ideas to make it a bit more versatile, will post pics if I get it worked out :rolleyes:) . Problem I am finding is for a suitable covering, you use to be able to buy formica or similar laminate you could glue on. I've tried the local diy type shops & none of them seem to stock it. Does anybody know where I can buy a piece big enough for a table?

Try
* Plastics & Veneers *

I'll maybe give them a call to see if they will sell a small enough piece, I looked at a few places but they only seem to sell large sheets.:(

Slightly off your track, but I permanently cover my van table in about 3 layers of towelling. It's soft, warm, absorbent, and simple to wash. Can get a fresh look by turning the top one over or washing/changing it. Produced in vast quantities as hand towel or bath towel it is cheap to buy, comes in any colour you want, and is sourceable anywhere. Also great for playing cards on. I use colurs like dark red or green which do not show the dirt as much. Then it matters not, what the laminate or wood on your table looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any kitchen worktop supplier should be able to get you what you are looking for, just the laminate bit of worktop material.

Just a suggestion. May sound silly. If you are having problems with laminate, how about vynil flooring. It is soft and flexable. Stick on a larger piece on the table and then use a blade to cut all around. Wipe off with a damp cloth to remove stains.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back