Synthetic Oils

Dezi

Does anybody know an alternative for Fiats recommended Selinia 5-40 fully synthetic oil?

It must comply to Fiat standards or goodbye warranty.

Thanks dezi

ask a fiat dealer as what oils to use to comply with the fiat warranty.
or why not email fiat directly ?
thats what i do if i want to know anything & i've always found the dealer or manufafture to be very helpful.
after all they are the people to ask.
tony

Hi, That was my first port of call. Fiat are sticking to Selinia, local dealer confirms Selinia, thats why I am asking.

Dezi

i would have thought any branded compatible oil would be fine...:confused:

after all... laterally thinking here... how is anyone going to tell the brand name of the oil in yer sump :confused::confused:

regards:rolleyes:
aj

Hi, Well actually very easily. Without getting to technical - Synthetic oil is made in the lab, others come out the ground. Any analytical industrial chemist can isolate the molecules are tell which type it is, wrong type / spec, goodbye warranty. But thanks for replying.

Dezi

synthetic oils

hi dezi
there are loads of synthetic oils out there with the same specifications.
millers, car lube. mobil1, even halfords have an oil with the same specifications.
i think halfords oil is made by havoline.
but all the major oils will have an oil with the same specs.
just make sure that the specs are the same as in your hand book.
fiat dealers only want you to use their oils, and won't recomend any other.
i have personally used carlube type R fully sinthetic on many occasions and it has performed faultlessly.

live long and prosper:D

Hi, That was my first port of call. Fiat are sticking to Selinia, local dealer confirms Selinia, thats why I am asking.

Dezi

i'm surprised at that. do fiat own selinia or have a share in the company i wonder?
yes i have been told it is possible for those people to tell what oil you are using.
if you dont mind letting me have the details of your fiat ie year & model etc i would like to check it out with the local fiat dealer here just as a matter of interest.
tony

Does anybody know an alternative for Fiats recommended Selinia 5-40 fully synthetic oil?

Thanks dezi

If you go on Castrol Motor Oils and Lubricants and go through the pages you can type in what kind of Fiat engine you have, or just type in your registration number and it will find your vehicle!! and then it brings up a page telling you information about your engine.

It also tells advises you what engine they have that complies with Fiat.

I know, i went on last week to order some...

Quite useful information it supplies.. hope this helps..

Blueboy. ;-)

Hi, I went on Castrols excellent site yesterday, buuut when I typed in my reg it came back,not recognised. Its a 2009 model.
When I type in 2.3 120 bhp then it comes up with EDGE TURBO 5 -40 for 2007 models, which is quite possibly the correct one, but I would like to be certain, because since 2007 changes have been made & them engines aint cheap.

Thanks
Dezi

For some reason Fiat use a very high and specific specification, Mobile 1 will cover it but it's as expensive; or more so!!

A trade buyer will be able to buy the correct spec' made by Comma Oils from his local factors, again it's about the most expensive they sell but it's almost half the price of Fiat & Mobil!!

I use this oil, but ALSO use a quality oil filter, otherwise this will also void the warrenty - BEWARE!! (The cheap ones often have a courser filter material allowing larger particles to pass through - it's harder to block up!!).

Thanks dezi

just wondering why you are not using the selinia oil, are you not able to get supplies ?
tony

i'm surprised at that. do fiat own selinia or have a share in the company i wonder?

More than likely.

Pirelli tyres Fiat have a stake in, PSA have a stake in Michelin. Hence Citroens have Michelin tyres.

Tyres not oil I know, but illustrates that manufacturers do have other interests.

Fiat has a company have such a diversified portfolio you wouldn't believe.

Mid 80's they had a bigger share in Heart pacemakers in the UK than cars !!!
'Orion' produced by Fiat biomedica spa. Just to share how diversified they have been.

You may be wondering how come I know this weirdist of trivia :)

I worked for them !!

Channa

Hi, Well actually very easily. Without getting to technical - Synthetic oil is made in the lab, others come out the ground. Any analytical industrial chemist can isolate the molecules are tell which type it is, wrong type / spec, goodbye warranty. But thanks for replying.

Dezi

gulf oil were 1 of my clients for 5 years... i'm aware of the science that's why i offered advice :cool:... seen them make any spec of oil for any application you can think of.... note... all the individual additives/synthetics are manufactured by 2 companies (i'm recalling data from 15 years ago here)... all the brand names buy into them :eek:

:)... think you forgot to read the word ...compatible... ner mind :rolleyes:

regards;)
aj

observation... how many times have you seen a mechanic at a dealers sample the oil taken out and then send it off to a lab for analysis :rolleyes:... to find out the BRAND of oil used:confused:

every oil change, every vehicle, every dealer..... fek... a job at a lab would seam secure :D

the life of your engine is the oil.
use a good quality oil & keep the oil & filters ie oil , fuel & air filters changed regularly.
tony

I think I'd rateher spend a few bob extra getting the recommended oil than risk having any warranty claim turned down.
I suppose part of the reason that manufacturers recommend certain olis,tyres,batteries and the rest is that by doing so they earn a nice discount from the makers of them,after all they have to send their vehicles out full of oil etc.

I think I'd rateher spend a few bob extra getting the recommended oil than risk having any warranty claim turned down.
I suppose part of the reason that manufacturers recommend certain olis,tyres,batteries and the rest is that by doing so they earn a nice discount from the makers of them,after all they have to send their vehicles out full of oil etc.

I would agree, Perhaps when people are buying new vans, a worthy consideration in the decision making process. And worth factoring into the overall investment required.

Channa

Hi, Thank you all for all comments. Having spent many years in engineering I did know 90% of what has been offered, but thanks anyway. The reason for the original question was simple.Most large vehicle manufacturers have always made the bulk the profit from spares, not vehicles. I now suspect that this is now applying to other items ( such as oils etc) & overcharging us for them,not suprisingly it Pees me off. So was looking for an alternative.An example - 5 litres Selinia oil £55.00 - Castrol Edge £38. If one were in unfortunate position of relying on the old age pension survive then the Selinia would be more than 50% of a single persons weekly pension. Its a rip off.

Dezi

i agree with you there, £55 sounds a lot for 5 litres of oil.
i use shell helix plus 10w40 synthetic technology motor oil @ 25 euro-5 litres.
it says on the container "meets fiat specification 9.55535.g2.
i know my fiat is not under warranty.
maybe you could check it out with shell.
tony

it sound a lot but the reason for useing semi pathetic and fully pathetic oils are the intervals between services 18000mls or so, on all my motors and plant i drop my oil every 3000mls and oil and filter every 6000mls if you had that up over the same mls its not that dear,but after 45yrs fitting what do us oldens know:rolleyes:
p.s.we also drop gear box and axle oils at 30000mls just what we where trained to do also give up our seat on a bus for the old or a lady:D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back