Survival

snowgoose

Hi gang,have been going thro some old archives on this & other camping forums & the most regular questions that seem to come up especially from first timers is domestic power & water or lack of it. I had a 85ah battery till it passed on [now run 110] but I bought myself 2 small 10led light table lamps,they are made by "BLACKSPEAR" cost me all of £3 each,they have a flexi stem & use 2 AA batterys last around 6/8 weeks give of a teriffic light I found one was fine for reading 2 light up the whole van,apart from the water pump I occasionanly use a 5 inch B/W telly,by using the lamps I find even with the old 85ah I could last nearly 16 days on battery power. As to water I always carry a 10ltr jerry can, & keep it topped up with any water I find streams, rivers, whatever,have even been known to try sea water.this is used fer all non drinking purposes, washing, dishes, even boil the odd egg in it.
That way I can make my small 45ltr s of fresh water go along way.I realise I may be saying something you all ready do but newby's seem to be afraid to try this. So far the longest I've managed in one place was 26 days on ROUSAY in the Orkneys,believe me there are not many taps on that island.No shortage of lights or water. So think on especially those of you with no onboard water tanks you can make 25ltr go a long way.
Snowgoose.

Snowgoose

Great to hear someone talking WILD CAMPING for a change. Its starting to get too HI-DE-HI on here.

Another good water bit of kit is those solar shower bags, when the sun decides to show up, provides a great hot shower. (Using stream water, natch)

Keep it WILD keep it FREE!!!:cool:

Threads

If you read back through old threads ,you will see most of this has all ready been mentioned.Please keep the ideas coming ,i am sure something new will come about as more people join .

To save water you could always try drinking your own urine... or is that taking the p*ss???

water

hi to new members
spain is not a problem,when you fill up with fuel ask to use the water tap.
normally just connect your hose,some attendants welcome a tip, others refuse
dont try this in portugal,they say no.fill your jerry can from foot showers on the beach

drinking ones own urine

Nosha said:
To save water you could always try drinking your own urine... or is that taking the p*ss???
The only problem with that idea is SOME of us would probably be over the limit with our 1st cuppa do you not agree Sammi :eek: :D
snowgoose.

Making your loo 'last longer'

This is the most worrying thing when truly wildcamping. We tend to visit a 'cheap' campsite every 3-4 days to empty and refill . This year I amazed my hubby when I told him from now on, when no other facilities were available ,we would be peeing in a bucket to make the loo last longer !!
After all,sheep, cows,dogs,cats pee on the grass and man has been doing it for all time so why shouldn't I !!! I never emptied the bucket near to any streams or water courses, usually into long grass.
Now I am probably going to be shot down in flames for admitting to this but don't tell me no one else does this!;) :p

swingsandroundabouts said:
This is the most worrying thing when truly wildcamping. We tend to visit a 'cheap' campsite every 3-4 days to empty and refill . This year I amazed my hubby when I told him from now on, when no other facilities were available ,we would be peeing in a bucket to make the loo last longer !!
After all,sheep, cows,dogs,cats pee on the grass and man has been doing it for all time so why shouldn't I !!! I never emptied the bucket near to any streams or water courses, usually into long grass.
Now I am probably going to be shot down in flames for admitting to this but don't tell me no one else does this!;) :p
loads of drivers (only seen male) urinate at the side of the road into bushes, how though would you preserve your modesty?:eek:

walkers said:
loads of drivers (only seen male) urinate at the side of the road into bushes, how though would you preserve your modesty?:eek:

That is why I pee into a bucket first in the privacy of my onboard bathroom!!:) ;) . Using the 'fire' bucket is a good diversion as well !:D

You are very welcome swingsandroundabouts anything to make services last longer has to be a good idea when wilding.

Further to the previous post. we also use baby wipes to wash our hands, before eating. saves loads of water. they can even be used to clean knives & forks, etc. if not too dirty. after all if they are good enough for babies' bottoms, they are ideal for adults.

good idea *****, we have a collapsible plastic water container which we use for the same thing. The bucket we wash in the sea, when possible.

Hi
We use a collapsible water carrier + small piece of hose and funnel, takes 2 though!!!

;) ;) ;)

Completely agree about the watering can being easier, we dont seem to have that much spare space in our Autoquest 100 (salesman told us we would want a bigger van). The carrier and hose go under the seat belted seat quite easily. During the next month or two we might being going to a hypermarche to buy one!
Thanks for all the info we both feel a bit more prepared for our first long trip.
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Autoquest 100

gillr49, excuse me if this is in the wrong place, but can you tell me if you are satisfied with your choice of motorhome or do you wish you had bought a larger Motorhome?

I am very new to this, and I was thinking of buying a 100 myself or even going for a 140 model.
I would appreciate any comments you would like to make.

Hi

Although we have only used the van for short trips, one of the boys has taken it to Europe for 2 weeks. All of us think it is perfect for 2 or perhaps 3but anymore would be a bit of a pain.

There is plenty of space for 2 with equipment, clothes etc. we have had both front seats modified so they swivel, giving us more room for sitting at night etc.. Both my son and wife and hubby and I feel that the double bed is a bit restricting, both men are over 6 ft. so we all find it preferable to make the bed without sliding the seats out. The male then sleeps on the big single and the ladies are sleeping on the bench seat, with our feet on the front passenger seat swivelled round, not as complicated as it seems and you can get up in the night to go to the loo without any problems. All the bedding is kept on the bed over the cab, which looks tidy when the curtains are accross.
We like the fact that we can put it on our drive easily, we can park up in a marked bay and drive everywhere a white van man can go!!

No regrets at all in buying the size of van. We are really pleased with it and we would so far recommend it to anyone.

:) :) :) :) :)

Model 100

gillr49, thank you for your comments on the 100 model.
As it will only be the good lady and I using the vehicle then it seems good sense to go for the 100. Thank you again.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back