Suggestions wanted for good Android Satnav app please?

Bertilak

I'm realising my elderly (and dodgy) iGo8, running on a 8in Samsung tab, needs a revamp. By the time you've got some maps a new iGo is pretty dear. What do people recommend?
My must haves are
  1. Can Download Wildcamping pois (and many others)
  2. Pois can be switchable without too much hassle, (to avoid flooding the map with icons for every fuel station and supermarket etc, as well as speeding up loading)
  3. Route must be selectable by touching the map, so a pretty cross-country route can be picked without knowing the names of intermediate points.
    I want the best quality of the journey, not just the quickest!
  4. Sensible zoom function to aid plotting a multipoint route through a nest of lanes.
  5. Speed limit shown. :rolleyes:
  6. Primarilly works off-line. over reasonable distances (thus excludes Google Maps etc). Connection via a phone hotspot works sort of , but always drops out, and I don't notice until I need it :-( Some online reactive planning to hold-ups could be nice, but I could still switch to Waze for motorways.

I expect many on here have similar desires... I was wondering about coughing up for a TomTomGo - but would prefer recommendations rather than a week of o_O!

I have tried a search for this but without sensible results. (y)

Until quite recently I would have recommended TomTom Mobile.

Unfortunately the app has been revamped and support for third party POIs is not yet available. I continue to run an older version and make sure I don't update the app.

It's a shame that this is the case because in my view the app works very well and is affordable with an annual subscription.

My second choice would be Co Pilot, which satisfies your criteria, and is available in a Caravan/Motorhome version allowing input of vehicle dimensions. Quite pricey though.

The method of loading third party POIs is rather clumsy.

Other than that it's well worth considering.

Maps.me FOR POI's and a good map
Not used the navigation part at complicated junctions or in a city

Got a garmin 760 lmt camper and a tomtom go 620 truck both have their issues might as well put your hand in a jamboree bag and have a lucky dip

The OP is seeking an Android app ...
He is also wondering about tomtom go if you read bottom of post i just said i have 1 and they all have their issues so might as well put your hand in a jamboree bag and that is an unbiased view

We also use copilot Europe with maps loaded on an Sd card for satnav. We do have maps.me on another tablet for W.Camping Pois, shops, and other points of interest. That works for us with a driver and navigator.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back