Sticky stuff on van.

mickymoor

Hi
can anybody help ?
ive just removed the stuck on stripes on my autosleeper legend (pig of a job) as im getting the cab resprayed,i need something to remove the glue thats left behind.
ive tried :-
nail varnish remover
methes
panel wipe
vinagar
soap & water

regards
mickymoor

As you are getting a respray anyway why not try cellulose thinners on a rag, if it does lift the paint then you have used too much. It is virtually the same as nail varnish remover but much stronger. Be sure to rince with water afterwards. Good luck.

As you are getting a respray anyway why not try cellulose thinners on a rag, if it does lift the paint then you have used too much. It is virtually the same as nail varnish remover but much stronger. Be sure to rince with water afterwards. Good luck.
dont use thinners at all!! as it will soften the original paint an cause more trouble to who is going to respray the van, the body shop will remove the residue of the stickers when they are prepping the bodywork with a da sander. also the easiest way to remove stripes is with a kettle of hot water or a hairdryer the heat softens the adhesive and you can just peel of the stripes. ps panel wipe is only used to remove greasy residue or tar marks just prior to painting then a good tak rag did it for a long time when respraying motors

Last edited by a moderator:
Try WD40 and let it soak sometime, then rub it off with a sponge

Trim glue remover that the kitchen fitters use - don't breathe the fumes if you can avoid it - nasty stuff

should have added that one of those paint stripper heat guns and the decals fall off.

Last edited by a moderator:
get ur self some tar&glue remover,it will just run off,u'll get it in any valeting shop..

Thanks for replys
im only getting the cab resprayed but some of the coachbuild stripes are chipped and tatty so im replacing the lot so that they all match.
the stripes are coming off faily easy its the glue thats left behind.
ive tried WD40 it does not work.

Carbontetrachloride (carbon tet) is what we used, often now sold at brake cleaner.

I know it's too late now, but if you had softened the stripes with a hot air gun the glue would have come off with the old stripes, then a quick buff with Tee-cut would have got rid of the glue edges.

Micky, A quick P.S. We had an Autosleeper Talisman (Peugeot/Talbot) which had brown and white 1" wide coachlines - I have half a roll left, any use to you???

Just finished cleaning the leftover glue off the van.
i used evostik cleaner and those magic wipe sponges,they worked a treat.
will post before,during and after shots once i get the new stripes on in june.
regards
mickymoor

Just finished cleaning the leftover glue off the van.
i used evostik cleaner and those magic wipe sponges,they worked a treat.
will post before,during and after shots once i get the new stripes on in june.
regards
mickymoor

nice idea about evo glue remover will remember that one cheers.

to remove label/decal adhesieve

self adhesieve decal glue removal we use a product caled (VARN ) used by us in the label printing trade and the residue is easily removed its also good for tar and grease removal and it is water soluible washes off easly
try your local chemical supliers

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back