Steep Inclines

lenny

Last weekend I pushed the van to the limits and was well happy with its performance;)I'd just encountered 20% and 25% grade roads in driving rain and thought they could'nt get any steeper then the next day I came across this one..
23082008186.jpg

33% so I proceeded with caution but it did'nt seem any more severe so I researched how grades were calculated and now I am just as confused:confused::eek::p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(slope)

gradients

Nice photo Lenny,did you get out and push as well?Where is that area?

At home in town we have a 1 in 4 (25%) they banned cars from it as there is a stone wall across bottom, it is of course cobbled and when wet brakes did not do much good. OUCH!

wee-z

Oxygen needed !

Dont even think about going up or down porlock hill in the west country !!!

Strong laundry needed

Ive been up and down Chimney Bank Hill in North Yorks (1 in 3 ) .....:eek::eek: only in a car but its hairy to say the least.

I think Porlock Hill still has the edge though, because it has those great hairpin bends.....get in the wrong gear and there is plenty of pedal pushing, engine revving and hand brake pulling.:D

Tops

chimney bank

hi is that the one near the White Horse? near Thirsk.

I took a volvo240 and 22ft caravan both up and down that one
interesting:) the brakes worked OK

wee-z

hi is that the one near the White Horse? near Thirsk.

I took a volvo240 and 22ft caravan both up and down that one
interesting:) the brakes worked OK

wee-z

It is near Thirsk, its on the road from ( or to depending on your direction ) Hutton le Hole...if you went down that with a caravan i salute your braveness and dare i stay madness :D

Tops

I gave myself a big fright once on the Ord to Tokavaig road on Skye, when I had my old Transit Travelhome...it got slower and slower as I crept upwards - I was bouncing up and down to try and get it over the top! :eek: I reckon the new van would be fine but it's still a hairy hill! But the wild camping between Tokavaig and Tarskavaig is so good it's worth it!:D

Ive been up and down Chimney Bank Hill in North Yorks (1 in 3 ) .....:eek::eek: only in a car but its hairy to say the least.

I think Porlock Hill still has the edge though, because it has those great hairpin bends.....get in the wrong gear and there is plenty of pedal pushing, engine revving and hand brake pulling.:D

Tops

Been up that in a 53 seater coach, driving........

chimney bank at thirsk remember many years ago in a vauxhall viva HA model some may remember the car (good name HA ) AS IT HAD DRUM BRAKES FITTED which were up to par for the day WHEN NEW :D but not years later when a person payed 10 quid for said thing :eek::eek: me wife and inlaws all aboard nuff to say it was verrrrry interesting when half way down brakes decide to fade to nothing :eek::D:D:D i give it a miss with drums on the old beddy .

I gave myself a big fright once on the Ord to Tokavaig road on Skye, when I had my old Transit Travelhome...it got slower and slower as I crept upwards - I was bouncing up and down to try and get it over the top! :eek: I reckon the new van would be fine but it's still a hairy hill! But the wild camping between Tokavaig and Tarskavaig is so good it's worth it!:D

Never had any problems on this as I do it regularly while visiting friends..but it's a great area!

Never had any problems on this as I do it regularly while visiting friends..but it's a great area!

It's a brilliant place - ur lucky to live there! I'm guessing you're not driving a clapped out old mh like mine was? :DThat, and finding a group of people in a car park gazing at the oily pool leaking out from underneath it one day:eek:, was made me think it's time had come!:(

Just done that area - fantastic wild camping right on beach with brill sunset. No problems with the hill thankfully. Will post some photos when I have more time and work out how!! :confused:

Where??????

Just done that area - fantastic wild camping right on beach with brill sunset. No problems with the hill thankfully. Will post some photos when I have more time and work out how!! :confused:

Hi Topic and Wanderer, can you tell me where you stayed as we are up there 2nd week in Sept, its our first foray in a MH (hired :( ), but determined to wild camp it.

Cheers Tops

Hi

If you are worried about steep hills do not under any cicumstances go over Hardknott Pass in the Lake District. Not only are they steep (1 in 3) but have many hairpin bends and during the "summer" heavily conjested. This produces traffic jams which means constant use of the gears which meant, I smelt a think I had not smelt for many years, that of clutch burning on my car! Of course the "Mountain Goat" bus service has a route but the space available for such leaves me in awe! It's a case of I'm coming through so get out of the way, even if you've got to drive off the side of a mountain!

I maybe wrong, but I thought that there was a width restriction on Hardknots.

In my distant memory I remember being in a transit minibus that was involved in a minor bump up there, when it was discussed with the local Bobby he said we shouldn’t have been there.

Having been over it a few times in cars and even on a bike, I would not take my van over it.

Dave

The "Mountain Goat" buses are in fact minibuses, but I did see a service bus heading that way from Boot direction, but hopefully it was going for the school children I'd seen at the roman fort! IMHO it couldn't go any further.

Hi

If you are worried about steep hills do not under any cicumstances go over Hardknott Pass in the Lake District. Not only are they steep (1 in 3) but have many hairpin bends and during the "summer" heavily conjested. This produces traffic jams which means constant use of the gears which meant, I smelt a think I had not smelt for many years, that of clutch burning on my car! Of course the "Mountain Goat" bus service has a route but the space available for such leaves me in awe! It's a case of I'm coming through so get out of the way, even if you've got to drive off the side of a mountain!

Hardknott and wrynose do have restrictions but I can't remember what they are. I do remember getting brake fade after going over there - I think in a series 3 land-rover. I don't imagine it's a good plan to take a mh over there. I think the bends are too tight for mine.

Hi Topic and Wanderer, can you tell me where you stayed as we are up there 2nd week in Sept, its our first foray in a MH (hired :( ), but determined to wild camp it.

Cheers Tops

Sorry for late reply. Only just worked out how to find old posts. Where abouts are you going?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back