Starting Engine

kate13

Had our hymer plugged into house for past two days. Went to start it up today, lights all came on, but it just made a funny noise, and clicking, and the lights on the dash were flashing? Could anyone help this damsel in distress.
Thank You
Kate :mad:

Well to start with your cab battery(starter Battery) is flat. Had it just been a chatter but lights remain stable may have been sticky starter. But I would say battery Flat. Are you sure that the cab battery is charged through your plug in, is there a switch that connects. best thing to do is remove offending battery and \charge seperately. and see if it happens again. If does then new battery is needed.

Don

ive had a funny clicking noise from the engine
and flashing lights on the dash before
turned out, mine was just a bad earth
at the battery terminal

Well to start with your cab battery(starter Battery) is flat. Had it just been a chatter but lights remain stable may have been sticky starter. But I would say battery Flat. Are you sure that the cab battery is charged through your plug in, is there a switch that connects. best thing to do is remove offending battery and \charge seperately. and see if it happens again. If does then new battery is needed.

Don
Hi Don, thank you for reply. I thought the cab battery was charged at the same time? will have to get the manual out? Also will have the earth wire checked. Will have the Battery took out, and charged, if it works, then at least I know its not charging when its plugged into mains.

Regards Kate

ive had a funny clicking noise from the engine
and flashing lights on the dash before
turned out, mine was just a bad earth
at the battery terminal
I agree with Sundown, it has happend to me also see if your earth needs a clean with some emmery cloth.:)

If you've got a Multimeter, put it on the battery and see what reading you get. 12.5vDC or better and your battery is still OK. Lower than that and you will probably need a new one.
Try "sundown" and "Trevor" suggestions of cleaning the terminals first Before you replace the clamps on the battery lugs, give them a smear of Vaseline and that should take care of that problem in the future.
Is there any signs of a white powdery "mess" near the terminals? That's a sure sign that you need to give them a clean off. best thing is to pour hot water over that mess before you try to clean everything up.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds to me you have a flat starter battery. Check the voltage: above 12,5 is OK. When you hook up: normally only your leisure battery is charged
(unless there is a-double- connection switch). You'll have to charge the starting battery seperately.
Your starter battery can go flat when you have a standstill of several weeks by a 'small' consumer: the led blinker of your alarm system.
Best is to disconnect the starter battery or provide a cut-off switch if the MH is idle for several weeks.
Also follow the advice of Trevor and Sundown: clean the terminals and put some vaseline or spray WD40

Both my batteries are disconnected sometimes upto 6wks my van starts ok however as the battery gets 3-4 years old i my not be so lucky and may have to tickle charge them:D

Hi Kate. We have a swift so dont know much about Hymer. But on our van we have a switch which you can charge vechicle or Leisure batteries while on electric hook up do you have one? But what I do because my van is around my back garden. Is have a little solar trickle changer connected also I have a Isolator switch on the van battery and just turn it when we want to use it. But the alarm will not work then. But remains fully charged. Good Luck Bob.:D

I think most Hymers (except maybe very old ones?) will have the Elektroblok charger/controller fitted. I believe this should charge the engine battery when on hookup.

I would agree with others who suggest a bad connection at the battery or earth strap, but first check the battery voltage to be sure that it is charged.

AndyC

I think most Hymers (except maybe very old ones?) will have the Elektroblok charger/controller fitted. I believe this should charge the engine battery when on hookup.

AndyC
Hi thank you all. Now can someone tell how, and were to get to the Battery. I know it seems daft question, but do not have my Hymer Manual Handy:mad: Also were is the fuse box. Its a 1996 B544 Model.
Kind Regards Kate

Hi thank you all. Now can someone tell how, and were to get to the Battery. I know it seems daft question, but do not have my Hymer Manual Handy:mad:
Under the bonnet?
Also were is the fuse box. Its a 1996 B544 Model.
Kind Regards Kate
There are normally fuses on the Elektroblok unit, sorry I don't know where it is located on a 544, maybe someone here has a Hymer of similar age and can advise.

AndyC

Under the bonnet?
There are normally fuses on the Elektroblok unit, sorry I don't know where it is located on a 544, maybe someone here has a Hymer of similar age and can advise.

AndyC

i have a coachbuilt hymer and the elektroblok is under thee driver seat on the a class that kate13 has i am not sure of its location but maybe it is under the driver seat too, i would assume the starter battery is in the engine compartment not sure how you access this on an a class
it does sound like the battery is not fully charged maybe even a dead cell.

I would say it is a dead battery. Charge up battery, it should start at once, drive up the road and park it, come back in 5 minutes and you have a problem to start, it is a dud, you need a new battery.

If you've got a Multimeter, put it on the battery and see what reading you get. 12.5vDC or better and your battery is still OK. Lower than that and you will probably need a new one.
Try "sundown" and "Trevor" suggestions of cleaning the terminals first Before you replace the clamps on the battery lugs, give them a smear of Vaseline and that should take care of that problem in the future.
Is there any signs of a white powdery "mess" near the terminals? That's a sure sign that you need to give them a clean off. best thing is to pour hot water over that mess before you try to clean everything up.
Not too sure about the hot water or any water for that matter. water combined with the white gunge will produce sulfuric acid, if this gets at your metlework it will eat it away, won't do your skin much good either.

Don
think you may just have charged the leisure system best bet either charge the ignition battery or just to be safe buy a new battery for the starter i have done not that expensive

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back