starter vans

• Thread starter Deleted member 4053
  • Start date

Deleted member 4053

How about a discussion on starter vans.

Lets hear some opinions from all the experienced members of the forum.

For instance we are looking for a 4 berth motorhome with 2 x 3 point seats in the back to take child seats price range up to about £6000.

petrol or diesel?

Proposed mileage a year probably 6000. We know the Talbot range is in there, but what else can you suggest. We are both 6ft tall so need reasonable headroom.Preferably under 3500kg.

lets open the forum up a little bit

We await with bated breath( can't hold it so long these days).

Weez
Tony

Build your own - go on, you know it makes (financial) sense :D

starter van

thanks Baloo
trouble is I am semi retired and there is not enough hours in the day.
what with anklebiters etc

Weez
Tony

thanks Baloo
trouble is I am semi retired and there is not enough hours in the day.
what with anklebiters etc

Weez
Tony

my bold

send 'em up the chimneys. Lots of people are putting old fireplaces back into commission
Failing that, see if any of the Northern members can find a job for them cleaning out under the looms

How about a Ducato,Weez, I bought this one last year for £5,500 and it,s never let me down;), doesnt have 3 point belts in the back but I,m sure they could be added, and I have had no problems with Headroom:eek::p:D...

13092008245.jpg

This is a 1991 , 2Lt,. petrol, (about 20mpg), not as nice as the Bad Boy you had at Glentress but OK for the price:cool:

Starter vans

Probably for £6000 you are looking at a early 1990's van still alot out there with low milages good engines and bodywork.As we all know vans are not really used as day to day transport and are bought and looked after by owners.Coachbuilt vans such as compass calypso and others should fit the bill or how about a hightop such as toyota hiace conversions(reimo among others)these are versatile as some have 6 or 7 seat although usually only fitted with lapbelts dependent on the layout.But with some small vans you are compromising with bathroom facilities so you pays your money and takes your choice hope this gives you some ideas,Andy.;)

Last edited:
All I,ll I say is that you need to look,look and keep looking, do your mh
home work and research the type of van you want.There are well looked after vans out there, now money is tight you could get a bargain:D

How about a Ducato,Weez, I bought this one last year for £5,500 and it,s never let me down;), doesnt have 3 point belts in the back but I,m sure they could be added, and I have had no problems with Headroom:eek::p:D...

13092008245.jpg

This is a 1991 , 2Lt,. petrol, (about 20mpg), not as nice as the Bad Boy you had at Glentress but OK for the price:cool:

hmmm, I've started looking at what we call the "posh" vans enviously, especially as winter sets in and my lovely little vw camper has not a lot to boast about in the way of heating, brrrr :cool:. I didn't realise they were that cheap though, might actually sell my little basic van next summer, and get a posh one next winter:)... if i can part with her that is :(
kids would love one though, they don't like being shoved out into the tent!

The first van that I had was a Bedford Dormobile. It was what is now called a "crew bus". It cost me £25

It's quite easy to do your own. I know that Nomad 1 has done a few; perhaps he could give you a few pointers.

and if you fancy a left-hooker there are these beauties CLICKY I Put in a price from €3k to €5

Just look at this beauty - betcha that's a self bild :D

I am biased having owned three - the Mercedes Benz Westfalia James Cook, based on the 207D, 309D and 210D models that were built until the mid 1990s. Left hand drive, but thats not a big deal in my opinion, and they can be converted to right hand drive quite cheaply.

Have all the mod cons that only some makers are now getting around to putting in their vans; shower, hot water, central heating, gas tank (not bottles), insulated flooring as well as roof and walls, double glazed. High roof, not less than 6'4" headroom in the lowest part, about 7'8" at the highest. Six belted seating positions - although the back four are lapsash - but those are very easy to attach the child restraint belts.

Have a look on www.mobile.de

My advice is always to go around to every yard you can find and look through, sit, stand, etc.

those old mercs are good value, bullet proof mechanics easy ish for spares cab bodies can be a bit ragged at the edges but easy to repair still lots of parts available cheapish .

Starter vans

For instance we are looking for a 4 berth motorhome with 2 x 3 point seats in the back to take child seats price range up to about £6000.

petrol or diesel?

Proposed mileage a year probably 6000. We know the Talbot range is in there, but what else can you suggest. We are both 6ft tall so need reasonable headroom.Preferably under 3500kg.

Weez
Tony
Doe's this fit the bill http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/ebayISAPI....=08photodisplayDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Starter vans

:)

petrol or diesel?

Weez
Tony
:)Tempted to this myself http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-LT...39:1|66:2|65:10|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

vw

Andy that looks a good one I think it would suit you very well
go for it . would be much more economic although I still think a bit optimistic
on mpg
would have to add gas hot water I think.

still a problem for child safety seats for me
price seems fair subject to sight of van/mot

weez
Tony

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back