Southern Ireland

there is a shortish motorway from western ROI to Dublin port which contains several toll booths (think its the M50) it also contains a toll which has no booths and you have to pay on the internet within 24 hours its a bloody nightmare. the website details are on the overhead gantries as you scoot along at 70mph i'm sure you will be able to get pen and paper poised ..... bloody silly system. also dont use your mobile in the middle of the irish sea - mobile phone rates go mental (£7 a minute?) as they have to use satellites for signal and not land masts.

there is a shortish motorway from western ROI to Dublin port which contains several toll booths (think its the M50) it also contains a toll which has no booths and you have to pay on the internet within 24 hours its a bloody nightmare. the website details are on the overhead gantries as you scoot along at 70mph i'm sure you will be able to get pen and paper poised ..... bloody silly system. also dont use your mobile in the middle of the irish sea - mobile phone rates go mental (£7 a minute?) as they have to use satellites for signal and not land masts.
Hi Delicagirl, - have to advise your info is very much out of date,
Ffirst - website is simple to find and use, use M50 toll to quickly find then register an account, add your reg and a payment card and off you travel. If you want to pay a single payment you can also. Emails responded to quickly also. You can add multiple vehicles and quickly amend, change, add vehicles.
Second - the MWay now goes to Enniscorthy - just 30 mins from Rosslare. Takes just over 1hr 30mins from Dublin port.

To OP Mossystone: plenty to see and do, easy to travel around in a 6.5m Fiat ducato.

Hi Delicagirl, - have to advise your info is very much out of date,
Ffirst - website is simple to find and use, use M50 toll to quickly find then register an account, add your reg and a payment card and off you travel. If you want to pay a single payment you can also. Emails responded to quickly also. You can add multiple vehicles and quickly amend, change, add vehicles.
Second - the MWay now goes to Enniscorthy - just 30 mins from Rosslare. Takes just over 1hr 30mins from Dublin port.

To OP Mossystone: plenty to see and do, easy to travel around in a 6.5m Fiat ducato.

My experience was 3 years ago. The website is NOT easy to find if you are driving alone at 70mph and are expected to read flashing website addresses on the overhead gantry, and remember them, as you navigate your way through a variety of motorways around Dublin itself. The experience i described was my first visit on this motorway, and it will be my last. If you dont use a smart phone this system is insane. Having discussed this with my irish relatives it transpires there used to be a toll booth but it was removed. There was uproar when this happened as, just like me, tens of thousands of irish folk and tourists have been trapped by this stupid idea and have been fined. so DONT tell me its easy. I tried to pay over the phone and after 20 minutes the customer "service" girl had still not been successful in taking payment. Then i got a letter in the post fining me. Then i found the parking companys website and NO phone number to talk to anyone. Finally i got one .... i wont go on...... These stupid systems are designed to create as many non-payers as possible so they can charge monstrous overdue fines. So much as i love ROI i wont be going on any motorways like this again.

My experience was 3 years ago. The website is NOT easy to find if you are driving alone at 70mph and are expected to read flashing website addresses on the overhead gantry, and remember them, as you navigate your way through a variety of motorways around Dublin itself. The experience i described was my first visit on this motorway, and it will be my last. If you dont use a smart phone this system is insane. Having discussed this with my irish relatives it transpires there used to be a toll booth but it was removed. There was uproar when this happened as, just like me, tens of thousands of irish folk and tourists have been trapped by this stupid idea and have been fined. so DONT tell me its easy. I tried to pay over the phone and after 20 minutes the customer "service" girl had still not been successful in taking payment. Then i got a letter in the post fining me. Then i found the parking companys website and NO phone number to talk to anyone. Finally i got one .... i wont go on...... These stupid systems are designed to create as many non-payers as possible so they can charge monstrous overdue fines. So much as i love ROI i wont be going on any motorways like this again.
Seems you had a bad experience at that time, and yes the modern systems of online payment are a pain especially as it expects you to have a modern phone. I don't even have a mobile phone.
We regularly visit both N. and S. Ireland and like you have had to deal with the tolls as they change and have found the systems to be relatively easy.
We had to retrospectively add registrations to the account and sort payments and thankfully not had any fine.
Good luck in the future trips.

Seems you had a bad experience at that time, and yes the modern systems of online payment are a pain especially as it expects you to have a modern phone. I don't even have a mobile phone.
We regularly visit both N. and S. Ireland and like you have had to deal with the tolls as they change and have found the systems to be relatively easy.
We had to retrospectively add registrations to the account and sort payments and thankfully not had any fine.
Good luck in the future trips.

i am a grump with technology. How do you pay then?

We went via Dublin, 5 years ago.
5 excellent weeks.. Just 3 nights on campsites.
Trevskoda was more than helpful, beyond the call of duty. If he offers you any advice, do take it.
The best piece of, ( non- Trev )' advice, was too have a definite destination for your first night.
We were recommended to go to Johnny Foxes Pub, not far from Dublin.. Google it.
A brilliant place, extremely motorhome friendly great food, fantastic entertainment.
So good we spent 3 rainy days there, on their vast overflow carpark.
We met local vans there, who gave us valuable advice.
The weather improved and we headed south. The are many pubs offering music .We had no trouble overnighting the folk were very kind and welcoming.
Donegal is beautiful.
On the final night of the 5th week, we just had to go back to Johnny Foxes.
They remembered us, let us go into the show, free of charge and served the pub grub that we'd ordered while we enjoyed the show.
Brilliant.
Don't forget your raincoats, though.
All that lovely green isn't just paint.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back