soot on burner grid

helen.dipn

HI there,

Does anyone know if its safe/ok to get a soot deposit on the metal grid part of the hob burner - the bit you put your kettle on?? I've had problems with this burner since I bought the van its been in 3 times where its stopped working and now I've noticed 'soot' which is not on the other 2 burners.

Thanks

Hel

HI there,

Does anyone know if its safe/ok to get a soot deposit on the metal grid part of the hob burner - the bit you put your kettle on?? I've had problems with this burner since I bought the van its been in 3 times where its stopped working and now I've noticed 'soot' which is not on the other 2 burners.

Thanks

Hel
There should be no soot on the burners this is caused by
an improper flame Usually yellow in colour have it serviced by a gas registered fitter

Yes, soot is definitely a bad sign. The cause is not enough air mixing with the gas to make a good blue flame, it can result in the production of carbon monoxide so needs to be fixed.

Most likely it is due to dirt in the burner tube, but on some older appliances the amount of air entering the burner is adjustable and may need re-setting.

You might be able to fix it by a quick blast down the burner from a can of compressed air (from most plumbers merchants) otherwise you'll need to get it looked at. Any caravan gas fitter should be able to sort it for you.

AndyC
(ex CORGI registered for LPG)

You have a blocked air jet/supply. Look at the outlet nozzle before it enters the burner ring, I'll bet you have build up of rust in the air supply pipe.

Did someone by any chance give the hole in the jet a "clean out" with a bit of wire? If the jet is even fractionally too large it will cause the problems you describe, amongst other causes.

Soot on burner

Thank you so much guys for your replies. I have contacted the dealer several times they say they'll phone me back I'm still waiting for a response!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back