Solar panels

maingate

Hi all,

I have been trawling the internet for a solar panel and have been amazed at the prices being asked by the `Leisure` outlets. It is apparent that we are being ripped off on price.

Eventually I found this site www.stonewindandsolar.co.uk.

They have 2 solar panels suitable for m/homes at very good prices.

50 watt monocrystalline panel with charge controller, cable, Sikaflex adhesive, cable and waterproof cable fitting (for roof or wall) and instructions. This is on offer at £189.50 (inc. vat)

90 watt monocrystalline panel with charge controller and everything as above at £315.00.

This also includes the cost of posting.

I have just ordered the 90 watt panel.

Last edited:
I do not feel comfortable buying from an unknown supplier on an internet auction site.

I am dealing directly with an established British company. This means that I have rights in law if there was to be any future problems. The way things are, British companies need a bit of help. At least a middle man is not creaming off the profit.

If you are happy with your deal, then I am pleased for you bevdrew.

BTW When I checked your link, I also was given the details of this supplier by a caravanner. His setup was blowing fuses all the time. You contact them through a company called Therapy 2000. They are suppliers of medical equipment and not solar panels. This is a guy called Phil who has a sideline in Solar panels, so best of luck if you have problems.

Last edited:
We are very happy with our panels/setup - had for 10 months now, working brilliantly with no problems.

We had done our research and chose these (in our opinion) as the best buy for our purposes. They arrived within 2 days, well packaged and working. The British Ebay seller was very helpfull too as he has been selling these panels for a while alongside his other wares.

Was only trying to help others who may be thinking of buying solar panels.

If you are happy with your (more expensive deal) then I too are happy, for you.

surely if you buy on ebay & pay through paypal then if you have problems you will be ok.
tony

Solar ?

Bought off ebay UK,beginning of the year,full kit with 100 watt panel,and delivered to my door in ...Bulgaria for £380,an important factor if having a solar panel,is having more batteries,so TWO or more,in tandum,so far brill,no probs,totally self sufficient now.

Hi Maingate
This might sound like a silly question but how do you attach it to the roof?:confused:..do you just put brackets on the panel and then 'stick' it or do you screw the brackets to the roof and then fit the panel to the brackets?:eek:
Bye for now
Freddie:D

Screw the panels onto brackets - we used alu angle from B&Q along two edges - and stick the brackets to the roof with Sikaflex

Hi Maingate
This might sound like a silly question but how do you attach it to the roof?:confused:..do you just put brackets on the panel and then 'stick' it or do you screw the brackets to the roof and then fit the panel to the brackets?:eek:
Bye for now
Freddie:D
Hi watchthis,

Bevdrew is correct, you attach the brackets to the solar panel and set it up where you want it. Then it is best to mark the places for the brackets, clean off any muck and/or wax polish, slightly roughen up the paintwork to get a key and then apply the glue.
Most places recommend Sikaflex. If you have something else which is as good, then use that. Stone wind and solar recommend drilling the hole for the cable underneath the solar panel position if possible. If not, they provide the waterproof cable entry gland anyway.

solar

In the ' kit ' i purchased,the special mounting kit which was £40 was 4 strips of angled aluminium with holes drilled in and some small nuts and bolts,enabling mounting to be tilted to an angle,but to do so,you need access to your van roof ??
Ok for the actual mounting,but are you going to carry a ladder with you when you go away so as to tilt solar panel again,no, and if you mount it at rear where your roof rack is,then you cant use that then.I mounted mine in the middle of van,and if you dont need to ' tilt ' then only 2 strips of angle required,if cheaper in your local diy store,make sure its thick or strong enough though as at 50 + miles per hour,surprising the forces and stress working on a stiff heavy kite like object....maybe a small type spoiler/deflector in leading edge ?

hi, i used two 3ins aluminium angle fixed at each end to the edge of the trailer roof. fitted 3 x80wtt panels side by side. the angle allows space underneath as they can get warm. and stops wind from entering under the front . they have been on 9 yrs and never let me down. at the time 120quid each in maroc. now about 200 quid .or get the ebay panels at 185 good price that. i also have 400-600 amp bank of bank of batteries depends if i,m using them else where. at home i park close to house and power my house fridge /freezer in the summer for free, by using an extension lead from the inverter. in the truck i also use a household 240v fridge when travelling.

Well I got my new 90 watt Solar Panel this morning. Set it up and it works very well. I am not putting it on the roof but will have it free standing.

Although I have an overcab, my roof is flat. Near newbury, I hit a low branch which damaged my Status aerial. I do not intend to damage this panel with my lack of vision.:eek: There is loads of storage space in my van, so that will not be a problem.

When I started this thread, what I did not say was that I did not buy the full kit, as I already have a regulator (for the wind turbine) and I did not need the Sikaflex for the roof mounting. All told, it cost me £220.

Good find on the panels. I too have been amazed at the prices charged by leisure outlets. Like £600 for a decent sized panel... and we were always told these things would come down in price to affordable levels, but that doesn't seem to have happened.

My 85w panel hangs between the roof bars on 4 hinges. This allows me to undo either edge and stand it up (with struts) to face the sun better. If you want picture & details PM me. NB my 'BP solar' panel was made in.... China.

panels have been cheap every where but uk. now the internet is letting you know how much you should be paying.i payed 120 quid each for 80wt panels in maroc 8yr ago. they are now at around the internet price so its all about the same. last year 150wt panels were about 175 quid in maroc a few mates bought them but they are a big panel. i like the 80,s if one breaks you dont lose alot of power.

My 85w panel hangs between the roof bars on 4 hinges. This allows me to undo either edge and stand it up (with struts) to face the sun better. If you want picture & details PM me. NB my 'BP solar' panel was made in.... China.
Thanks Mastodon but I have a Burstner 747. It is about 3 storeys high.

I would get a nose bleed if I got on the roof.

Thanks Mastodon but I have a Burstner 747. It is about 3 storeys high.

I would get a nose bleed if I got on the roof.

Got a ladder on the back, but I can stand on the sofa and furtle through the heki...

... I can stand on the sofa and furtle through the heki...

...is that legal?;)

I've been looking at the freestanding option. Our access has a lot of low branches that get even lower when it rains :( Be interesting to hear how you get on, maingate

free standing is ok ,but if you go to the supermarket etc you have to put it away to drive if they are on the roof they are prmenantly gettiong the sun .we hope. yes it would be nice to tip them but then it gives the game away. stealth . its like having a satalight. see the ones in wnter in southern spain big dish gives the game away. no sat its best.

I have had a cunning plan!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

The back of my van has 2 small locker doors which open into the Huuuge garage. I am making a box which will house my solar panel.

I will open one of the small garage doors, slide out the solar panel and generate loads of watts and amps and thingy`s.

Then, when it gets dark, I will slide the solar panel back into the garage and shut the locker door.

Simples!

Cunning or what?

As my granny used to say, `There is no substitute for brains`:D:D

BTW. There is nothing wrong with a good furtle.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back