Solar Panel and Inverters

David & Ann

As I only wild camp, I am getting too old to hump my generator up and down from my box bolted to the back of the MH. I have one 100A liesure battery which is charged by a solar panel on the roof. I run a 65W / 240v colour TV from a hook up of the Generator. I always charge up my Mobile and video camera when I run my TV from the hook up. This works brilliantly. I need to get rid of the Generator. Question is:- What size Inverter would I need to run my TV and charge my phone and camera at the same time. And is my solar panel good enough to do the job. Would you advise I get a second liesure battery to avoid not having sufficent power for other items on board. HELP!!!

Hi David & Ann. Your 65 Watt Solar Panel will give you around 3.5 amps per hour in the best light. On a good day? That would give you around 25 amps to re-charge your battery.

Your 100ah Battery would give you (if fully charged?) around 40 amps of power without draining the battery too low.

Your TV would use 0.3amp at 230 volts but around 6 amps at 12 volts. That's around 6.5 hours of use with your 40 amps (safe) battery power using an Inverter of 90/95% efficiency.

The Phone and Camera chargers, lights, water pump etc, would use around 25 amps per day. That's about what your Solar panel is producing.

An 150 Watt Inverter would be large enough.

Extra Batteries and Solar Panels would allow a longer stay before re-charging.

Last edited:
JohnSandyWhite said:
Hi David & Ann. Your 65 Watt Solar Panel will give you around 3.5 amps per hour in the best light. On a good day? That would give you around 25 amps to re-charge your battery.

Your 100ah Battery would give you (if fully charged?) around 40 amps of power without draining the battery too low.

Your TV would use 0.3amp at 230 volts but around 6 amps at 12 volts. That's around 6.5 hours of use with your 40 amps (safe) battery power using an Inverter of 90/95% efficiency.

The Phone and Camera chargers, lights, water pump etc, would use around 25 amps per day. That's about what your Solar panel is producing.

An 150 Watt Inverter would be large enough.

Extra Batteries and Solar Panels would allow a longer stay before re-charging.
Thanks a lot JSW. Much appreciated. A 150 Watt Inverter is what I am going to get as you have confirmed what others have said.Good work Buddy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back