Solar advice

minxa

Hey guys,

We're starting to get ourselves together a bit for our long term trip to Europe next year.

We've decided that 85-120W of solar panel and min 2 x 110aH sealed lead acid batteries (possibly 3) will be about right for us to be pretty much self sufficient power wise. Can anyone offer any advice on what type of panel, mono or poly crystaline and what type of charge controller would be suitable please?

minxa :confused::confused::confused:

:eek::eek:With up to that ammount of panels surely 2x 110 amp batts will be ample, otherwise you will never be able to charge them fully from your panels.
As to type, one is better in full sunlight and the other better in just daylight ( but I can't remember which) so depends on where you are planning to go.

However congrats on choosing the solar route, I have a modest 45 watt panel and a 110 amp batt but with L.E.D lighting, I am fine for most trips.

Hi Rick

Was thinking that the alternator might do a bit of charging whilst on the move and the odd visit to a site to catch up on laundry etc would give the chance for electric hook up & a full recharge.

Minxa

Hey guys,

We're starting to get ourselves together a bit for our long term trip to Europe next year.

We've decided that 85-120W of solar panel and min 2 x 110aH sealed lead acid batteries (possibly 3) will be about right for us to be pretty much self sufficient power wise. Can anyone offer any advice on what type of panel, mono or poly crystaline and what type of charge controller would be suitable please?

minxa :confused::confused::confused:

Theoritically mono's are better than poly crystaline (better in dim sunlight). But this is only a few % and the price is so much higher.
Be aware that solarpanels give only max 20% of their capacity in winter when the sun is low and the days short. I doubt they can sufficiently load up 3 batteries in those conditions.
Like Tresrikay said:change your bulbs for LED's. You'll get along further.

Three main types -
Monocrystalline - Cells often have circle pattern on the panel
Polycrystalline - usually cells are rectangular with thin gaps between

Both the above have glass coverings and are pretty much similar performance in practical situations.

Amorphous - no pattern at all. Normally no glass covering

From http://www.rpc.com.au/products/services/examples/typesmobile.html

1) Amorphous Cannon/UniSolar type: These solar panels will continue to produce significant power if a portion of the panel is shaded by tree cover. They do perform a bit better than the other type in extremely hot conditions. They are not covered in glass and are considered to be very robust. However, they are very large in size. A 64W amorphous panel is larger than a 120W Kyocera polycrystalline panel! Another disadvantage is that their 'dull' surface tends to collect dust and they are somewhat difficult to clean. They have a 20 year warranty.

2) Kyocera/BP Solar panels: This type of mono or polycrystalline panel comes with a 25 year warranty and they take up half the area of an equivalent wattage UniSolar panel. However, all poly and monocrystalline panels suffer a very substantial loss of power if a portion of the panel is shaded by some tree leaves.

This partial shading 'problem' is not the same as cloudy weather or filtered light (in which case there is not much difference in performance between the two types).
-----------------------------------------------------------

Just out of interest - did you conduct a "lifestyle and power use audit" to help you decide how much power you are going to need, or was it based on advice from others or just an (educated) guess.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

We've just finished 6 months in summer ranging from France to Iceland and our Hobby has 2 x 80W panels and one 100Ah gel battery. Mostly wild camping, but normally only one to 3 nights in any one location. Use computer, satellite TV and normal fluoro and halogen lighting (and occasionally central heating) and never looked like running out of power. Leisure battery is also charged when driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tony

Thanks loads for that. We didn't exactly carry out a power use audit, but we did look at the consumption of the appliances we are likely to use regularly and make a kind of half educated guestimate, combined with advice from others as I'd under estimated. Our problem with trying to do this properly is that we haven't had the van long enough to make proper use of it and only have the wnter to get ourselves prepared.

We may occasionally watch a bit of TV, but not often so that could be restricted to where mains hook up is available. Will probably use the computer/external hard drive from time to time to change the playlist on the ipod or watch the odd movie but again not much.

Fluoro and halogen lighting are likely to be our main uses, I've not looked into the cost of LED yet but am thinking this might be a really good power saving idea. Expecting to be on the move approx weekly but maybe not far at a time so can't rely on the alternator too much. Will probably look at a site every week or two at the most to catch up on domestic stuff so can fully recharge then.

Any recommendations when it comes to charge controllers??

Minxa

I'd be having a chat with the panel supplier and making sure that the whole system is compatible with the existing 240V charger and the 12V vehicle charging system.

I'd feel far happier making the panel supplier responsible for getting it all to fit together before coughing up any moolah.

I have a single 130 W Panel with a 10 Amp charge controller and 2 x 100 AH Batteries. Watch evening TV (Sky), Laptop for emails and forum. frequently away 5 days off line (EHU). All lights are low Wattage .
Never been short of leccy.

Hi Tony

Thanks loads for that. We didn't exactly carry out a power use audit, but we did look at the consumption of the appliances we are likely to use regularly and make a kind of half educated guestimate, combined with advice from others as I'd under estimated. Our problem with trying to do this properly is that we haven't had the van long enough to make proper use of it and only have the wnter to get ourselves prepared.

We may occasionally watch a bit of TV, but not often so that could be restricted to where mains hook up is available. Will probably use the computer/external hard drive from time to time to change the playlist on the ipod or watch the odd movie but again not much.

Fluoro and halogen lighting are likely to be our main uses, I've not looked into the cost of LED yet but am thinking this might be a really good power saving idea. Expecting to be on the move approx weekly but maybe not far at a time so can't rely on the alternator too much. Will probably look at a site every week or two at the most to catch up on domestic stuff so can fully recharge then.

Any recommendations when it comes to charge controllers??

Minxa

Hello again Minxa, I changed my lighting to L.E.D last Feb and it cost about £80, this cost is coming down very rapidly and I am sure you could do it for a lot less now.
L.E.D lighting cuts up to 70% off your lighting energy recquirments and at this time of year thats a lot of power.Solar is expensive but if you factor in your lighting then you can cut back on your storage and a 110 batt is about the cost of replacement L.E.D. and remember they should last 30000 hours before you need to change. I worked out I will be in my mid 300's when I need a new bulb...... Don't think that will be a pretty site and before Lenny posts that I am already in my mid 200's:p Its just not true...... I just look it.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all your help guys.

We've got LED's fitted now which should give enormous power savings and we've also got a 120W poly solar panel, just need to buy charge controller & batteries so guess what's on my xmas list.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back