socket tester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tester

Yep a cheap 'Martindale', should not be be to relied on as being a good earth but only as a indicator, what is wrong with reversed connections, AC current and of course neutral and earth are the same!!!!!!:)

The fluke SM300 is a good tester as it will also test for +50v on the earth and test RCD function, they cost about £30.00. I use one every day.

attachment.php

BTW live is now called line, so we now have line, neutral and earth!

Last edited:
I leave mine in a spare socket all the time as it acts a great nightlight as well!

I don't know what you British are making a fuss about ?: ALL sockets on the continent are 240V (more or less) AC (alternative current). (we don't have DC anymore since the middle-ages :rolleyes:), no hassling with + and - . The only thing you can do is to prove you have juice in your plug. Sorry to say, but a socket tester is something like bringing water to the sea. Or you have current or you don't. If you really have to know this: make a plug with 2 wires and a small neon bulb between. (or put your fingers in the socket: when your hair goes straight up: you have current :p:eek:)
:confused::(:mad::eek::D:eek:

Belgain Disappointed at a rather flippant and ill informed posting

Not going to enter a big technical debate but there are very good reasons why you should ensure your MH is safely connected and a socket tester and changeover lead can assist.

I would also suggest that you retract your suggestion of putting fingers in socket, although intended as a joke, as somebody make take you literally.

Belgain Disappointed at a rather flippant and ill informed posting

Not going to enter a big technical debate but there are very good reasons why you should ensure your MH is safely connected and a socket tester and changeover lead can assist.

I would also suggest that you retract your suggestion of putting fingers in socket, although intended as a joke, as somebody make take you literally.

C'mon mate, don't be the health & Safety/sense of humour police - Belgium is clearly having a laugh & you surely must have a fairly low opinion of us - if you think we'll take his usually excellent advice literally.

Nil Point!

I don't know what you British are making a fuss about ?: ALL sockets on the continent are 240V (more or less) AC (alternative current). (we don't have DC anymore since the middle-ages :rolleyes:), no hassling with + and - . The only thing you can do is to prove you have juice in your plug. Sorry to say, but a socket tester is something like bringing water to the sea. Or you have current or you don't. If you really have to know this: make a plug with 2 wires and a small neon bulb between. (or put your fingers in the socket: when your hair goes straight up: you have current :p:eek:)
:confused::(:mad::eek::D:eek:

Hi Belgian, I don't think we should lightly dismiss reverse polarity. I am not an electrician but I have always been led to believe that for our safety devices to work in a way that will protect us we should not crossover + and -. I am sure a fully qualified electrician will be along to correct me if I am wrong.

First let me say I am a fully Qualified Electrician, and a Part P registered Electrician and an Elecrtrical Inspector.

AC (alternating current) polarity changes from positive to negative several times a second.

Some RCD safety devices require that the LINE (live) to be connected to the correct terminal on them and will not function correctly otherwise. Some will function either way.

What you must remeber is that only the LINE (live) actually carries the current. Neutral has earth potential.

Testing the supply you are using can only be a good thing, but make sure your testing device is trustworthy.
The fluke SM300 I mentioned above tests the RCD to ensure that it trips in the required time.

I am going to lock this thread now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back