Snow Chains

Sean

Hey Guys,

over xmas/new years we're doing a round trip from London->Brugge->Antwerp->Amsterdam->New Castle->Edinburgh->Liverpool->London (Jealous? :D)

Anyways at some point in this little adventure we're certain to encounter some snow. I've never driven in snow and don't own snow chains.

I have a Talbot Express (18ft x 9ft x 7ft) which weights nearly 2.5 tonnes.

Should I get chains? When can/should I use these? I heard it is illegal to use them on some roads?

Many Thanks
Sean

Hey Guys,

over xmas/new years we're doing a round trip from London->Brugge->Antwerp->Amsterdam->New Castle->Edinburgh->Liverpool->London (Jealous? :D)

Anyways at some point in this little adventure we're certain to encounter some snow. I've never driven in snow and don't own snow chains.

I have a Talbot Express (18ft x 9ft x 7ft) which weights nearly 2.5 tonnes.

Should I get chains? When can/should I use these? I heard it is illegal to use them on some roads?

Many Thanks
Sean
I think also you will find inn some countries it's illegal in the winter to use some roads without carrying them incase they are needed

In Germany I'm told that if you haven't got winter tyres fitted at certain times of the year and you have an accident, the onus is on you to prove that tyres weren't a factor.

snow socks

Lenny

Thanks for that post, has anyone used these?

I find it hard to visualise much extra grip from these.

how were the prices and also how long will they last?

weez
Tony

In Germany I'm told that if you haven't got winter tyres fitted at certain times of the year and you have an accident, the onus is on you to prove that tyres weren't a factor.

To a point you right Tony. If you are fully comp: they must pay up. If third party, fire and theft, the other party will not pay up if you did not have the right tires on, even if their driver is to fault. It is then that you have to take the other Insurance co: to court and you must prove your tires weren't the factor, or had any bearing to the incident.

A word of caution about snow chains - Have few practises of fitting them before you have to use them in anger. They can be a b****r to fit

Lenny

Thanks for that post, has anyone used these?

I find it hard to visualise much extra grip from these.

how were the prices and also how long will they last?

weez
Tony

Had a look at the weissocks site it appears that they are only used to get you out of trouble then taken off again.Looks like they are made from a webbing material so not very hard wearing but are a good alternative to chains.Most tyre sizes available prices per pair around £40/£50,if you change your van which has a different tyre size then you can exchange your tyresocks for new ones provided they are unused,Andy.

Your most northerly point is Edinburgh and the road between Edinburgh and Newcastle is a major route. Any snow in the Antwerp, Brugge, Amsterdam part of the journey is unlikely to trigger a need for snowchains. Personally I wouldn't bother. If the snow gets bad, pull in, camp and sit tight! I would make sure you have extra supplies on board if the weather is looking dodgy.

Your most northerly point is Edinburgh and the road between Edinburgh and Newcastle is a major route. Any snow in the Antwerp, Brugge, Amsterdam part of the journey is unlikely to trigger a need for snowchains. Personally I wouldn't bother. If the snow gets bad, pull in, camp and sit tight! I would make sure you have extra supplies on board if the weather is looking dodgy.

Quite agree.Had to carry chains on truck but never used them.If it looked like I would need them I used to pull over.The roads in question are pretty flat and the thing most likely to stop you is someone elses accident in which case catterpillar tracks wouldn't help.Save your cash.

I think there is a speed limit attached to driving with snow chains. I don't know about England but in Germany, you must not exceed 80KMP=50MPH. Is that the rule also in England?

recommended

hi there. if anyone does want to invest in chains, i can personally recommend 'youwantwehave' on ebay. the prices are great, as long as you realise they probably aren't the best and boy did they arrive quickly !

A word of caution about snow chains - Have few practises of fitting them before you have to use them in anger. They can be a b****r to fit

I've got a pair of these Spikes-Spider Sport http://www.spikes-spiders.com/ to fit my 4.5 tonne m/h. They are a doddle to fit as there is a carrier fitted to the wheel on to which they just fix on with a twist cap.

Mind you, I've only used them once on snow but many times getting out of mud!

EDIT: Just noticed that the link above is to an american site. They are available in the UK from http://www.roofbox.co.uk/snowhome.html

Last edited:
chains

Baloo that is an interesting link.

Never had to use chains in UK but we seem to be getting more snowfalls again.
Looks a good idea to use in mud when you are on your own.
how difficult is it to fit the centre unit?

weez
Tony

Baloo that is an interesting link.

Never had to use chains in UK but we seem to be getting more snowfalls again.
Looks a good idea to use in mud when you are on your own.
how difficult is it to fit the centre unit?

weez
Tony

The centre unit has sleeved caps which tighten over the wheel nuts. These stay fitted to the wheel, and on mine the wheel trims will still clip on over them. The chains are then just held against the wheel and a twist lock screwed into place. The chains then centre on the wheel when driving forward.

Its this easy...... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QUtYznC8L3Y
(Bit foreign though!!)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back