Slow drains.

stepps110

Does anyone else have the problem of slow draining sinks, and more importantly a solution?.
I have a Hymer and they do drain but not as fast as I would expect.
Thanks.

Does anyone else have the problem of slow draining sinks, and more importantly a solution?.
I have a Hymer and they do drain but not as fast as I would expect.
Thanks.

The drain pipes on motorhomes are about 25mm bore,compared to domestic waste pipes 38mm. so it's bound to be a little slower, however I have had problems at the drain tap end where the pipe becomes blocked with what looks like a solid core of old fashioned white dripping fat, I think this must come from the waste water in the steamer we use when steaming processed meats.

Another reason is that the idle fatherless people who built your Motorhome used that wretched ring reinforced piping. All the crud gets stuck in the grooves and eventually it gets blocked

i had a simmilar problem i flushed it without success then i got down to re routing the pipes so they had a steeper run this improved it a bit but then i realised most of the problem was being caused by air pressure in the tank stoping the water flowing down the pipe
the soloution was to put a small vent hole in the top of the waste tank

next problem was draining the tank , i found that when the original hole was cut they left the bit inside the tank and it was blocking the pipe to the drain tap
you would think 30 k to 70k for a new van we would not have to endure these minor design/build problems

That seems a good idea Terry, our rear sink seems slow to empty; but not always; what do you recommend? About a 3 or 4mm hole in a top corner??

I think it was better when it was venting through the shower tray... but very smelly so poured a drop of VERY dilute loo blu which down the plug hole which stopped the stale water smell but slowed the sink empty cycle.

about an 1/8 th in english worked for me as near the top as possible

slow drains

thanks for the replies, i shall have a look at mine for venting.

regards.

I've noticed with our Hymer that unless you're level the water doesn't drain easily and sometimes not at all. I use a plastic cup over the drain, like a plunger. Must remember in future to check the waste tank level then at least I won't end up with all the dish water in the shower tray LOL. Wife returns after I'd washed up and looks in the loo and says "Why's the shower flooded". Three inches deep, had to scoop it into the loo before I could move the camper. :eek:

check that all your drain pipes are running down hill
some of the hidden ones may not be possitiond correctly
i had to re route some in my new van as they had cut them to long and had just pushed the extra behind the vanity unit and some of the pipe ran up hill

Surely it would not matter if it ran uphill :rolleyes: for a couple of inches as this will then give you the equivalent of a U-bend in the pipe run! :confused: Obviously if there is a big loop :cool: in there then cut it out, :p but if you have a U-bend the smells from the waste tank cannot get back up through the plug holes! :D :cool: JIM

vents

i had a simmilar problem i flushed it without success then i got down to re routing the pipes so they had a steeper run this improved it a bit but then i realised most of the problem was being caused by air pressure in the tank stoping the water flowing down the pipe
the soloution was to put a small vent hole in the top of the waste tank

next problem was draining the tank , i found that when the original hole was cut they left the bit inside the tank and it was blocking the pipe to the drain tap
you would think 30 k to 70k for a new van we would not have to endure these minor design/build problems

I had the same problem with my van, I went to the local tyre fitters, scrounged a couple of schrader valves, drilled 2 holes in the top of the waste tank, then put the rubber valves, (without the inner valves in), into the holes.
Problem cured.
PS, new on here, so be gentle with me.
Cheers, Pete.

Slow drains

Welcome to the site zeezee16 keep on posting

Last edited:
Don't forget you can take these things back to whoever sold them to you to effect a repair. I did need a hole drilling in my waste tank and also the pipe lowering to make the water drop better.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back