should i buy it ?

mhairic

HI
Been a camper for years but looking at buying a motor home this weekend to accomidate our increasing family, 2 rescued Great Danes !
i was wondering if anyone can help with one i have seen and tell me if it is priced about right and what i should lookout for if anything with that model
it is a Fiat 1986 Elddis auto-cirrus 2.5 diesel 82500 miles mot april 09 no power steering 19ft long 7ft wide just serviced priced at £5000

its the layout i need for the dogs as it as the seating in the back and up the sides, i will ask questions like has it had its timming belt changed and when, it looks in good condtion, but not sure what else i should be looking for, can anyone help. i know that it will be heavy steering but i am used to driving tractors with none should that should be good training !!!
many thanks to anyone who replys

Mhairi

Last edited by a moderator:
The old Fiat 2.5D is pretty reliable - is it a turbo? It will be a bit sluggish if not. We didn't have power steering on our old 1989 Elddis AutoQuest and it wasn't a problem.

All coachbuilts of that sort of age should be thoroughly checked for signs of damp ingress. From memory we had trouble with damp around the roof seams and windows - sorted by resealing. Another problem was the floor behind the rear wheels which was was just starting to rot when we sold it.

Bodywork tends to rust round the front wheel arches, windscreen pillars and bottom of the doors. Also the brackets for the rear spring hangers tend to rust out.

AndyC

Thanks Andy, will look out for the rust, it doesnt state it is a turbo, would be good though as live in Scotland ! il put some old clothes on so i can can get a look at the underside, and make sure all the electrics are working inside

mhairi

Just to add to AndyC our '88 E reg required outer sills when we had it, also I had wheel arch patches put on - the wheel arch part that is part of the floor, not the front wing. The lower front edge of the bonnet also rots out. I would strongly suggest buying a cheap damp meter from Homebase/B&Q and check EVERY area of the interior body work.

I watched the factory engineer check our van for its 1st yr habitation check, corners of roof, below every window and shower room floor. Hope that helps. Mechanical items can be un-bolted and replaced... even engines! But rotten or leaking bodies are almost impossible to repair once they are wet and soggy!

Many thanks for your reply, it seems to have new wheel arches on which is a good thing, i have got it booked in for a habbitaion cert/check, but they cant fit me in till end of july as they are so busy. mean time cant get the water to come out the tapes or the fire to work, but never mind, bougght the van, and pleased with it, just need to name it now, and get some small things, i hope, sorted out

Many thanks for your reply, it seems to have new wheel arches on which is a good thing, i have got it booked in for a habbitaion cert/check, but they cant fit me in till end of july as they are so busy.
mean time cant get the water to come out the tapes or the fire to work, but never mind,
Ah teething problems we all have them Good luck.:)

Many thanks for your reply, it seems to have new wheel arches on which is a good thing, i have got it booked in for a habbitaion cert/check, but they cant fit me in till end of july as they are so busy. mean time cant get the water to come out the tapes or the fire to work, but never mind, bougght the van, and pleased with it, just need to name it now, and get some small things, i hope, sorted out

Good Luck with your new van :)
Hope all goes well with her

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back