Self builds

GARY ENGLISH

I see a few people have self build motors, has any one one got a few photos they would not mine showing.My eldest is in cornwall this week said there is loads down there ,on about doing one him self now.Must be in the blood ,suppose i will get involved as usual.

www.sbmcc.co.uk
you have to log in, but you can do that and it will give you 25 posts before you will be required to join
There is and excellent gallery of pics. Some vans go from disgusting (mine) thru to "Gawd, that's better than a shop bought Flimsy" LOL
People have converted everything from a Minivan thru to a 40 Artic and Box trailer
Have a look - I think that you'll be amazed. I have been building my own vans for over 30 years. I have owned "off the Shelfers" but have never been very happy with them but that's a personal thing. I even had a van made to my own spec. and that was one of the most problematic vehicles that I ever owned - LOL - a type 25 VW air cooled - rotten as a pear!

Go and have a look at the gallery and the photo section on the SBMCC site its awe inspiring, www.sbmcc.co.uk , I think you will have to sign in but its worth the effort, plus the guys over there will go to extra ordinary lengths to help and advise you on your project.

GARY ENGLISH said:
I see a few people have self build motors, has any one one got a few photos they would not mine showing.My eldest is in cornwall this week said there is loads down there ,on about doing one him self now.Must be in the blood ,suppose i will get involved as usual.

If hes a lad he probably wants something 'cool' looking.
I would suggest he go for a VW T4 for which there are loads of modifications to make them look pretty cool.
I actually have one but as I am already cool I dont need the van to have that really pimped look :))

Take a look here at the VW T4 Forum
http://vwt4.forumsplace.com/

If its "Cool" you want then there is only one van and that's a Splitty done in the new Rat look!
T4's et al don't cut it. They look wonderful but they ain't Kewl! An old Land Rover is cool, a Defender is not:

tried to post a pic of Rat at Fistral - it even has it's own drinking bowl...

Attachments

• 9649365_9b0d7c7bfe.jpg
    9649365_9b0d7c7bfe.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 132
Happybonzo

Is that you split screen above in photo.I am sure i parked in front of you a few weeks ago,at sand banks facing towards ferry left hand side, looked like been driven in to side and left, nice parking.:) The van gets the thumb up,used to have a camper my self ,now eldest lad getting intrested.

GARY ENGLISH said:
Is that you split screen above in photo.I am sure i parked in front of you a few weeks ago,at sand banks facing towards ferry left hand side, looked like been driven in to side and left, nice parking.:) The van gets the thumb up,used to have a camper my self ,now eldest lad getting intrested.
======

get yourself £15k+ and then you will be in the running for a Split. I sold one, a left hooker, two years ago and it was shot: Brought over from Belguim & got £7k for it. The bloke who bought it spent around 15k getting it done. Mind you, it does look lovely now
and, no, its not my van - LOL That guy would never be at Sandbanks unless he was heading for the Perving Beach (fro Perving read Naturist)
To do a "Rat" properly costs as much as doing metaflake with 30 coats of lacquer - LOL - So please don't think that the Rat look is a cheapy.

Nope sorry, been there, done that. I gave up on aircooled's in the 60's, too many of them bursting into flames and I do like to drive above 40MPH, the only thing aircooled I have had recently is a 356 Speedster and that thing rusted so fast you could actually watch it self destruct

I'm on my second T4 now. The first was a high top and this one is a 96 LWB
T4's are now the coolest vans around. 2.4 Diesel. Lowered with decent wheels.

This is mine before I started the conversion
Ill get some more when its finished

van.jpg

Sorry, I'd have to disagree - they can be really nice to look at but cool? probably not
very few things are cool. Like a Lambo? would you look at that and say"Keewell" no, you'd probably say " nice enough and driven by a *** end" LOL
Having said that I have seen some rather good Syncros flying around...

Crackpot said:
Nope sorry, been there, done that. I gave up on aircooled's in the 60's, too many of them bursting into flames and I do like to drive above 40MPH, the only thing aircooled I have had recently is a 356 Speedster and that thing rusted so fast you could actually watch it self destruct

I'm on my second T4 now. The first was a high top and this one is a 96 LWB
T4's are now the coolest vans around. 2.4 Diesel. Lowered with decent wheels.

This is mine before I started the conversion
Ill get some more when its finished

van.jpg
very nice motor it looks brand new :)

Its actualy a 1996 model. Used as a Kennings lease vehicle by one company, very well serviced. I got it for £2300

Crackpot said:
Its actualy a 1996 model. Used as a Kennings lease vehicle by one company, very well serviced. I got it for £2300
wow bargain 4 sure,i love it,i bet itll look mint when you finished it,when do you think itll be finished?

sammclouis said:
wow bargain 4 sure,i love it,i bet itll look mint when you finished it,when do you think itll be finished?

Im hoping by the end of April. I only manage a few hours a week.

My mates who have vw t25s n other vans use to call it the Jaundice Babby:D

Heres a shot of the van this morning.Got a bit of rust to deal with on the passenger sill but its getting there.

vannow.jpg

very nice mate,only surface rust by the looks so not a huge job eh?
i bet you cant wait until she's finished and just in time for the summer :D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back