Seasons ?????

tresrikay

As we approach Autumn, many start to cut down on trips away......
as a forum of debate, I would ask do you?
I for one get away just as much all year round, I aim for every 3rd W/E away, I stay local, but as I am 2 miles from the Peak national park this is not a problem.
As we have a keen squad of meet'ers on here, lets try and keep it going through the dark days,
Our Crompton meet in January was great, and we have sites in Leek that are open year round, and a great pub nearby, I find it great to walk to a pub in frosty starlight have a couple of pints and then back to a cosy van....
and with a bit of good company.... Q..*****...... its a weekend to revitalise.
So let us Know your thoughts of doing it year round.....
Cromford anniversary meet anyone?:)

Hiya,Rick,I prefer the Autumn and winter:eek: cos no one wants to join you and me and Jack love the peace and quiet:p:D

BTW How was the NFOL?

The only difference we find as the nights get longer and colder we tend to use more sites with hook-up, I don't see the need for electric at £3 a night or more unless you are running heating all night.

But yes the motorhome still gets used, sites such as Pinewoods in Wells-next-the-sea offer some very good out of season bargains like 4 nights for the price of 3!!

I'd like to go away more in autumn and winter but being confined to a tiny Kangoo Roo from dusk becomes tedious (and chilly) when it's dark by 4pm :(

I'd like to go away more in autumn and winter but being confined to a tiny Kangoo Roo from dusk becomes tedious (and chilly) when it's dark by 4pm :(

Just get warm, put the radio on (radio 4) and you wont be alone, feet up with a book....... a glass of what you fancy.... then a walk around your chosen site, neighbour hood then get back and have an early night. I have been in bed with a good book and a malt at 8.30 in the depths cosy and at peace;)

My truck has only recently been converted. I plan to get away often during the Autumn and Winter or I've just wasted a whole load of money.
I like Autumn and the leaves flying around foraging for Chestnuts and Mushrooms. I also love frosty weather as it's at least dry and the Dog doesn't get so dirty. Me and my partner are of to Scotland next Thursday for two weeks. Whether the weather is permitting or not I don't care.

Thats the right spirit Bedfordmj, just go for it and accept what gets thrown at you.
Won't be as bad as New Orleans;)

V. Interesting

As I'm still on the look out for the right vehichle for my partner and I's 12 month camping adventure - may I ask how feasable it would be to spend an entire UK Winter in a motorhome? And, forgive my naivety, but would it be possible to convert a modern motorhome and install a wood burning stove for the wildcamping??

As I'm still on the look out for the right vehichle for my partner and I's 12 month camping adventure - may I ask how feasable it would be to spend an entire UK Winter in a motorhome? And, forgive my naivety, but would it be possible to convert a modern motorhome and install a wood burning stove for the wildcamping??

I would'nt think it would be wise to fit a wood burning stove into a motorhome, however heres a link that might interest you:)

http://portablewoodburningstove.blogspot.com/

Looks good for outdoors though;):cool:

out of season

I not only love using the motorhome in Autumn/Winter but think it is necessary to keep the wheels turning and battery topped up, especially if you don't store it at home. One of the best places I have found is the CL I keep it, but don't feel able to stay there for some reason. Usually end up on Caravan Club sites with non wilders and I hate paying the fees. I've got my own warm clean bathroom, why do I need to pay someone else £15+ per night.

In the past I have even stayed at Castleton for the lights or carols in the caverns. This year we are at Edinburgh for the New Year. We have spent New Yr in Durham, the lakes and on Holy Island!

I'm up for a Cromford reunion or anywhere else suitable.

Jon

We seem to buck the norm.Our motorhome never moves off the drive between may and sept,too hot / too much traffic and we cant wild camp near the coast.
Next trip planned is sept 22 just a short run to Vinaros for a few days.
Then in mid november its France/Germany/Poland/Germany/Belgium/UK for xmas then back across France and Spain to Home.
We are all different.:)

Woodstoves in motorhomes

A couple of my friends have woodburners in their vans and live in them all year round. They both have converted commercial vans though: if you were going to chop into a modern motorhome you'd have to accept you might be dropping its resale value quite a bit. They instal the stoves on stone flag bases and have heatproof sheeting behind and proper flues for them. They say that it's best to let the stove go out at night cos of the carcinogens. :eek: I spent a -9 night next to one of them, near Selkirk, and was very envious at 7am when her chimney started chuffing out woodsmoke! My diesel heater is a bit noisier - but kept me frost free through a week of -3 to -11 nights last winter in Galloway.:)

Good point about the resale value! But the link on the portable stove looks very good indeed. Thanks for your insights and experience.:)

Seasons

We slow down a bit in Winter(November to February),but still go twice a month.with a long break over Christmas and New Year.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back