sealing a fridge to adjoining work surfaces

backstay

Thank you to everyone who helped me with my reversing mirror problem,i a now looking at several of the leads.The new problem is to do with my fridge.My camper is a vw t4 transporter,autosleeper trooper.,i noticed that there is a bead of silicon filling the vertical gaps between the fridges sides and the work surfaces,as this is breaking down i,mwondering wether to replace the sealant or is it a bad idear?.I,m assuming that a previous owner used the silicon to stop the draughs entering the van,per haps someone has some thoughts on this subject,thanks ,backstay.

The main problem with sealing your fridge in is that if you want to take it out for anything you have to cut off all the sealant and rebead it afterwards. I assume it was probably cosmetic so do what you think looks best. My MH fridge has gaps at the side and I don't find any problem with draughts etc.... When the 12 volt gave up last month it was easy to pull it out and rectify the problem.

Entirely up to you really!

Goto this website and get the installation instructions Dometic refrigerators - Download Dometic Manuals then follow them exactly.

If your model number is not there goto the next number eg R184C maybe a R185C as the manuals are from the US market where 110V is used.

You can also try the Dometic manuals download site for more recent manuals. Just Google.

Most (not all) of the earlier Electrolux/Dometic fridges have no air gap around the wall sides and the fridge is secured with a couple of self tapping screws through the cabinet into the fridge side walls. Check the width of the cabinet walls as they form part of the insulation.

My experience is that its very rare to find a fridge installation that is too manufacturer's specs - which reduces the fridge's cooling ability by anything upto 50% - which makes it a coolbox rather than a fridge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back