satellite tv.

kalamitty

do'es any use a satellite for the tv. i was thinking of getting one of the portable kits from maplins, as setting up a digital tv is a bit of a pain trying to get a pic, we use it for the news. what i need to know are the kits easy to set up and easy to use.:)

do'es any use a satellite for the tv. i was thinking of getting one of the portable kits from maplins, as setting up a digital tv is a bit of a pain trying to get a pic, we use it for the news. what i need to know are the kits easy to set up and easy to use.:)
hi kalamitty, I bought the same one when I started. The kit is fine for the money, but knowing what I know now I would do it different. Go to maplins or get their catalogue, those guys are very helpful and usually know their stuff. I still use the actual receiver part of the kit, thats fine but the dish is to small, dont worry though, I picked up a larger dish with a lot higher gain and its fine. Not a massive dish, but its a liteweight household dish thats perforated for weight loss. Its that good I never need a sat finder, just a compass and find astra 28 straightaway, hope this helps.

thanks for reply will look into it when next in maplins.

Kalamity / Satelite

Hi

I have just bought a 'kit' not from mapplins but from a very helpfull supplier in Melksham. The setting up on site is best practiced in private in the privacy of your own garden, unless of course you wish to be the star in an improvised pantomine.

I found that you can set up using a compass but the extra £14-15 pounds spent on a meter is worthwhile. When you select the dish, check if it is 'offset' If it is then achieving an elevation of 25 deg is simply a matter of making sure that the face of the dish is plumb. If the dish comes with a bracket that is graduated in degs. You can only trust this if the tripod holding the dish is perfectly level (not often found).
The SSE setting - when you use a compass you need to add on or subtract to take acount of magnetic variance. The amout off correction will depend on your location.

Good luck, I am not an expert but if there is anything else I can help with pleaase get in touch.

Peter

thanks will start looking at prices, i always pratice at home first learnt my lesson when we had a touring caravan and treid to put up an awning without instuctions.:D

We use an oldish Amstrad 'home' box as it's quite small and fits in the locker next to the TV, it's fed with a std house dish painted with white Hammerite so it blends in with the motorhome a bit better, this is then fitted to the lower half of a folding portable camping rotary washing line - the cheapest tripod I could find. I use a Lydl sat finder (£3.99) which is superb, I have glued a small spirt level to the arm so the angle is about right, with a pocket compass the direction is about right, then the finder hones it in to perfection!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back