Sat Nav

Don Madge

Morning all,

I'm off to Scotland on Monday for a working holiday and somebody has loaned me a Garmin 250 to play with. :) I've just about cracked putting in post codes and storing co ordinates. :)

Somebody recommended these two sites for doing conversions, I figured out how to use them but I'm not all that confident. :oops: :oops:

So for the other dummies out there the sites might be useful.

http://www.obliquity.com/astro/osgb.html

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/gridconvert.html

So it looks like we might be investing in a Sat Nav before we leave on our winter trip in December.

Don

Don Madge said:
Morning all,

I'm off to Scotland on Monday for a working holiday and somebody has loaned me a Garmin 250 to play with. :) I've just about cracked putting in post codes and storing co ordinates. :)

Somebody recommended these two sites for doing conversions, I figured out how to use them but I'm not all that confident. :oops: :oops:

So for the other dummies out there the sites might be useful.

http://www.obliquity.com/astro/osgb.html

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/gridconvert.html

So it looks like we might be investing in a Sat Nav before we leave on our winter trip in December.

Don
i have a navman and it is very simple to use, get the occasional glitch but it has proved to be extremely useful and normally as accurate as you need, only place i have real problems is in colchester it keeps sending me up and down the same stretch of road but thats the only place that happens. good luck and enjoy your trip:D

Once you get used to it Don you'll wonder how you managed without it
and you will get hiccups with it
Rob

rebbyvid said:
Once you get used to it Don you'll wonder how you managed without it
and you will get hiccups with it
Rob

Rob,

I've managed for the last 56 years of driving but I've decided to catch up with the 21st century. At least I can turn the thing off unlike her indoors.

Don

I got one of the very early Tom Tom Go's. Her indoors kept falling asleep at the wrong moment!!!! Which seemed to occur everytime we took the van out on a Friday night. Wouldn't be without it now.:D

Telstar said:
I got one of the very early Tom Tom Go's. Her indoors kept falling asleep at the wrong moment!!!! Which seemed to occur everytime we took the van out on a Friday night. Wouldn't be without it now.:D
We also bought a tom tom. a few years ago. It has led us into some interesting situations, but generally got us out of a mess on more than one occasion. The main thing we find, is to aly maps with the sat nav, & use your common sense. If you think the information is faulty, try an alternative route. It is also advisable to view the route before embarking on it. just to be safe. Whilst in cornwall last year, we ended up going down a road only wide enough for one small car width & our wing mirrors tucked in to negotiate the narrowness of the road.

Don Madge said:
Rob,

I've managed for the last 56 years of driving but I've decided to catch up with the 21st century. At least I can turn the thing off unlike her indoors.

Don
very true Don:D :D

Rob

autosleeper said:
We also bought a tom tom. a few years ago. It has led us into some interesting situations, but generally got us out of a mess on more than one occasion. The main thing we find, is to aly maps with the sat nav, & use your common sense. If you think the information is faulty, try an alternative route. It is also advisable to view the route before embarking on it. just to be safe. Whilst in cornwall last year, we ended up going down a road only wide enough for one small car width & our wing mirrors tucked in to negotiate the narrowness of the road.
Gotta agree autosleeper
I listen if i dont know route ,if i do i go my way and she come to my way of thinking eventually
Rob

rebbyvid said:
Gotta agree autosleeper
I listen if i dont know route ,if i do i go my way and she come to my way of thinking eventually
Rob

Hi Rebbyvid. I like that. lol just know what you mean. If you wait long enough it comes around to your way of thinking.

sat navs

well with fuel being the the price it is
my sat nav saves me a fortune you
get straight from a to b

also when in france and you dont know
where north or south is, and you find the sun
going behind you on route when it was in front
when you started you dont need to make that fatefull
u turn to no avail, unmarked crossroads no problem:confused:

Has anyone on here any knowlege of the Road Angel currently on offer at Halfords, 50% off untill monday, may treat myself if they are recomended.

Thanks Tony

Boppintone said:
Has anyone on here any knowlege of the Road Angel currently on offer at Halfords, 50% off untill monday, may treat myself if they are recomended.

Thanks Tony
Dunno if it's the same model Tony but a friend of ours who rides a motor bike has a Road Angel device and swears by it.

Graham

Graham Hadfield said:
Dunno if it's the same model Tony but a friend of ours who rides a motor bike has a Road Angel device and swears by it.

Graham

Thanks for that Graham, will be going to have a look see tomorrow before the offer ends.

Regards Tony

Hello Tony,

Just remembered that I'd seen a recent thread on another forum about cheap sat nav at Sainsburys.

Just found it - Medion GoPal pna205 SatNav for £50 (GB & Ireland only). Don't know if the offer is nationwide (the poster had bought in Truro) or if it is still on.

If I recall correctly there is a big Sainsburys near the showground isn't there? Might be worth a look there.

Graham

sats

I also have TOM TOM GO early one, and always double check route with maps
if not happy i way mark my route which forces sat nav to go the way I want it to.

I find it useful because you don't have to keep referring back to maps once your routes have been stored especially in France.
However Ive been caught out like some people the odd glitch etc:D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back