Roofrack for a Bedford cf Travelhome ci?

baba

Hi,

I have a bedford cf travelhome ci.I'm tying to find a roof rack so I can carry a kayak and a top box.

I just need a couple of crossbars but I don't know which type of rack fitting to choose.

There are a couple of cross beams already on the roof but they're fitted tight up to the actual roof of the van so I don't think I'll be able to fasten a rack to those.

These crossbars also have four screwpoints welded down so maybe I can fit a rack to those, I think the preious owner had a board screwed down but not sure if he had a rack.

I've added some photo's so you can see what I mean, it's hard tying to explain this stuff...

Anyway, any help would be fantastic.

Cheers, baba

are the bars running from the front to back of the roof , if so can you not get two cross bars made up to fix into the existing fittings in picy 2 if they run side to side then mabey a normal car type adjustable rack may well adapt to fit

Hi,

It's not that clear but they're running across the van from side to side.

You're right I could probably get smomething made up but I was wondering if any of the commercial type bars they sell in halfords, etc would be compatible with the ci roof.(or with the four bolt mounting points)

Also, I'm not too confident about the strength of the mounting points of the existing bars.They look like thery're just bolted into rail on the edge of the van.Like I said, I think the previous owner just had a board bolted down.He used to sit up there at airshows and stuff.I don't think he ever carried anything up there.

baba

Last edited:
Hi,

It's not that clear but they're running across the van from side to side.

You're right I could probably get smomething made up but I was wondering if any of the commercial type bars they sell in halfords, etc would be compatible with the ci roof.(or with the four bolt mounting points)

Also, I'm not too confident about the strength of the mounting points of the existing bars.They look like thery're just bolted into rail on the edge of the van.Like I said, I think the previous owner just had a board bolted down.He used to sit up there at airshows and stuff.I don't think he ever carried anything up there.

baba
Hi Baba,
If the guy could sit on it, without going down the roof, I think you can safely carry a kajak or a box on the bars.:D Myself I have a somewhat simular system carrying a Hallford box with a few armchairs and a spare gasbottle (12 years now, without problems). I have some rubber pads placed at 1/3 between the bars and the roof. I will have to search for a few photo's of it.
Cheers,
Leo

Hi Belgian,

Some photo's would be great.Anything to give me some ideas about what would work for mine. I guess I just need to spread the weight out as much as possible.

The other thing I worry about is uplift from the kayak although if I tie it down at the front I might even get a bit of downforce!

Cheers

http://www.thule.com.au/vehicleguide_detail.php?car_brand_id=4283&car_model_id=102765

Thule, and no doubt a heap of other roof rack suppliers make racks for high roof vans. You can also get the cradles for the kayak as well. The legs mount onto the roof gutter - the strongest point for the mount. Be conscious that the lifting forces on a kayak travelling at 100kph can be fairly large, so it might not be a weight on the roof - rather the weight "lifting" the roof that you have to be prepared for.

I've got no roof gutter, just the rail that runs along the top edge of the van which doesn't give a rack much to grip onto.

As you can see the previous owner bolted his crossbars into the rail.

Not sure how strong that rail is though, I've contacted caravansinternational to se if they can tell me if my van was ever intended to have a rack.It has a rear ladder so I guess it can have one.

hi there baba whats your location ?if your close enough i could fab you somthing up?

OK, I've posted this same question in other forums and the general opinion seems to be that the rails along the top edge of my van aren't designed to be load bearing.

So, I need to either make modifications or get the rack that's up there checked out.

Can anyone reccommend a company in the south london area that could manufacture me a roof rack or check out the one that's up there already. WIth a bit of luck the existing one will be fine. I just don't fancy testing out witha load on the motorway!

Thanks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back