Rodeo's van

Rodeo

Heres a couple of pics of my van in progress.Transit lwb/semi high/auto/ ex executive minibus. Its come on a lot more since these were taken. 80 days so far,working mainly w/ends. Got another 10 days before I have to submit pics to ins.co.! No panic there then!
dad1_zps4f96b3c9.jpg
dad11_zps59418f9d.jpg
dad6_zpsd3cb7576.jpg
dad5_zps2c1271f4.jpg
dad7_zps5c5daacc.jpg

Done a few in the past,but took a different slant on this one,as its only for 2 of us this time.eg,the gap next to the toilet is for large stacking boxes,which we are using for clothes as opposed to suitcases. We've never used cupboards to put clothing in ,asfor some reason I have an aversion to to creepy crawlies. Thats why I am painting under the seat area in white ,as I dont like murky dark corners,but thats just me!I hope the design and set up 'works' when we try it out! I already had a brand new toilet and shower pump and pipes,so that saved a bit of money. All the rest of the timber/carpet etc is stuff I already had.Had to buy a sink/cooker,a roof vent,one sheet of 6mm ply,and some foam for the bed.
Not everyones 'cup 'o tea,but hey,its mine and really cheap!

Last edited:
I remember when mine was like that, it's very rewarding though to see it progress also the fact you can make it as you want nice and cozy what I liked too is if anything goes wrong you know exactly where it is and how to fix it good luck do post more pics as you go

Thanks guys. Yep,cheap = being resourceful as well! It hurt like mad having to spend money on a few bits like the stacking boxes etc! If I could have sold some of my other bits I probably would have done things slightly different.

Last edited:
Heres a couple of pics of my van in progress.Transit lwb/semi high/auto/ ex executive minibus. Its come on a lot more since these were taken. 80 days so far,working mainly w/ends. Got another 10 days before I have to submit pics to ins.co.! No panic there then!
View attachment 19259
View attachment 19260
View attachment 19261
View attachment 19262
View attachment 19263

Done a few in the past,but took a different slant on this one,as its only for 2 of us this time.eg,the gap next to the toilet is for large stacking boxes,which we are using for clothes as opposed to suitcases. We've never used cupboards to put clothing in ,asfor some reason I have an aversion to to creepy crawlies. Thats why I am painting under the seat area in white ,as I dont like murky dark corners,but thats just me!I hope the design and set up 'works' when we try it out! I already had a brand new toilet and shower pump and pipes,so that saved a bit of money. All the rest of the timber/carpet etc is stuff I already had.Had to buy a sink/cooker,a roof vent,one sheet of 6mm ply,and some foam for the bed.
Not everyones 'cup 'o tea,but hey,its mine and really cheap!

Well done you

The cost. The layout should not matter as you say it is yours
The thing I like about motorhomers is it's not important what you motor home in its the fact we all enjoy motor homing
I started many years ago in a Toyota highace van conversion

Now I have a 36 foot beast I call home
Many would die at the thought of the fuel costs
It suits me and I am daft enough to spend my money in running it

Hope I see you about one day
Yours Ian

keeping it cheap is an art in itself , this is the type of van I like , who needs to spend thousands , I bought a elddiss autostratus for when I lived in Ibiza , not long after we got there we realized that it would have worked just as well with the Mercedes 308D that I sold for £500 before we left , the kids ended up sleeping in a tent as it was more fun and there was only me and my partner in a 22 foot van that cost £7000 at the time , we did stay on site for 6 months ( @ a very low cost of £45 a week ) but because of that we had no need for a fully kitted out motorhome , carry with your cheap and cheerfull job mate , it will probably be as good as anything and you will drive it with a big grin knowing it doesn't ow you an arm and a leg :goodluck: , great job , let us see more photo's when its done , cheers shawbags ( Chris ) .

Well its done! Pics sent to Ins Co.tonight. Struggling to get pics up on here for some reason,but will do in due course!

Pics now also sent to DVLA.Im not holding my breath on that one,and expecting a refusal !

Good luck to you! Hope you dont have to wait long before you get an answer.

I have been self building my Vito for the last three or so years. It was "finished" some time ago but I still say it is a work in progress as there is always something to alter or add!
From what I can see on your pictures you are doing a good job, just keep plodding along and you will be there before you know it.

Trevor

Pics now also sent to DVLA.Im not holding my breath on that one,and expecting a refusal !
just got my daughter's V5 back,took 4 weeks,the ambulance I fitted for her is now a motorcaravan

in case anyone is interested,there seems to be a school of thought that encourages people to write long boring letters to accompany loads of pics,describing every aspect of a conversion and how safely all the appliances have been installed.this idea is based on religiously following the dvla guidelines and ticking off all their points one by one.
however,i disagree with this and wish people wouldn't do it.my method is as follows-1 pic of the side/front to show the general look and model of the van
1 pic with offside rear door open to show some interior and reg no.
4 pics of inside to show it's obviously a camper
a covering letter saying briefly- as can be seen in the photos I have converted this vehicle to a motor caravan and would be grateful if you would change the enclosed V5 to 'motorcaravan' thanks etc

I have a mental picture of some guy looking at his overflowing in-box,pulling out my letter and thinking''fank gawd for brevity-bish bash bosh=there you go sunshine !''

in case anyone is interested,there seems to be a school of thought that encourages people to write long boring letters to accompany loads of pics,describing every aspect of a conversion and how safely all the appliances have been installed.this idea is based on religiously following the dvla guidelines and ticking off all their points one by one.
however,i disagree with this and wish people wouldn't do it.my method is as follows-1 pic of the side/front to show the general look and model of the van
1 pic with offside rear door open to show some interior and reg no.
4 pics of inside to show it's obviously a camper
a covering letter saying briefly- as can be seen in the photos I have converted this vehicle to a motor caravan and would be grateful if you would change the enclosed V5 to 'motorcaravan' thanks etc

I have a mental picture of some guy looking at his overflowing in-box,pulling out my letter and thinking''fank gawd for brevity-bish bash bosh=there you go sunshine !''

Bit of a long post for you Nigel.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back