Requirements to use LiFePO4

davef

I'm wondering whether to take the plunge to replace the hab battery with lithium. Current engine charging is by a Renogy battery to battery charger which can be configured for LiFePO4 charging, but the 80w solar panel has a 10a Blue Solar pwm controller that doesn't have a LiFePO4 setting. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victron-Bl...R_qoF7C1OzIWikrWJ8GBsEphwQDmhf2GNxe_boKG&th=1)
Would this need to be replaced, or will it simply not totally charge the battery?
The mains charger I have is a Ctek 7 amp which again does not have Lithium settings, so I'm guessing this would need changing?
These look good value, has anyone tried them? 2 off 100ah for £380 from DCHouse- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lithium-Re...w=Mhysm&content-id=amzn1.sym.8db49f41-2d78-4c
Or would the 100ah Eco Worthy be a safer bet?

I have 2 100ah ecoworthy batteries and I’m really pleased with them, the only thing with eco worthy they don’t have a low temperature cut off in the bms and the above batteries do.

I have 2 100ah ecoworthy batteries and I’m really pleased with them, the only thing with eco worthy they don’t have a low temperature cut off in the bms and the above batteries do.
I would consider buying the Victron 100/20 MPPT solar controller. The default setting for lithium has a low temperature cut off at 5C. The 100/15 is ideal for up to 200w of solar. If you have more than this consider the 100/30.

The solar regulator is old hat and you were never getting the full monty from the panels, plus no cycling or voltage drop when not in use.
Many here will have there own pickings of regs but i like the votronic which also has a 1amp blead to the starter battery, it has all the settings for all types of batteries.
vetronic.png

I'm wondering whether to take the plunge to replace the hab battery with lithium. Current engine charging is by a Renogy battery to battery charger which can be configured for LiFePO4 charging, but the 80w solar panel has a 10a Blue Solar pwm controller that doesn't have a LiFePO4 setting. (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victron-Bl...R_qoF7C1OzIWikrWJ8GBsEphwQDmhf2GNxe_boKG&th=1)
Would this need to be replaced, or will it simply not totally charge the battery?
The mains charger I have is a Ctek 7 amp which again does not have Lithium settings, so I'm guessing this would need changing?
These look good value, has anyone tried them? 2 off 100ah for £380 from DCHouse- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lithium-Re...w=Mhysm&content-id=amzn1.sym.8db49f41-2d78-4c
Or would the 100ah Eco Worthy be a safer bet?
I would definitely go down the lithium route.
You could replace your solar controller with a Victron 100/15 MPPT. This gives you superior harvesting to your current pwm controller, and as I said previously it has a default setting for low temperature charging of 5C.
You could set your mains charger to gel and that should be fine for mains charging. Remember when your connected to the mains your battery status is not as important because your using mains power. Lithium batteries are a game changer.

Switching to lithium can be prohibitive due to the additional cost of the other items you need but as you've already got the B2B with a lifepo4 profile then I'd say it's a no brainer. I've recently fitted 2 cheap lifepo4s off amazon @ £190 each including a charger and I havent been disappointed, both come in at just over 100Ah, will deliver their 100A rating and the low voltage cut off works fine. I havent checked if the low temp cut off works because (possibly surprisingly) it doesn't bother me. As long as you dont go banging in high charge currents at low temperatures with the battery close to full charge there's no issue.
I'd change the SCC to MPPT as others have said, if you get one with user settings you can set the charge voltage to say 13.8V and that will stop the battery from reaching full charge over the winter, I'd also add a switch to the B2Bs D+ input so you can turn the B2B off if the temp is low, better still fit one of these in the D+
below 5 deg the switch opens and defeats the B2B automatically.
You dont strictly need a lithium charger, an ordinary LA one will be fine but turn it off when it clicks over to float or the charger says it's full, it's not super critical but try and remember and dont leave it on float for days and days on end.

Looking at the Victron mppt controllers, I cann't see how you alter the settings for different battery types as there doesn't seem to be setting switches. Do you need to use a special lead to use a computer or smart phone to alter them? The smart range has bluetooth, but not the blue solar.

Your CTEK charger is unlikely to last long when recharging 200Ah of battery which you are likely to deplete more heavily than you do with the existing lead acid battery.

Realistically you will need to replace that with a charger with a much higher output rating which will be a more robust product and will also be used for much shorter periods.

My 200Ah setup is charged by a Victron SmartSolar 100/20, a Victron 30 amp charger, and Sterling B2B.

My battery is in an external locker so low temperature protection is essential.

Looking at the Victron mppt controllers, I cann't see how you alter the settings for different battery types as there doesn't seem to be setting switches. Do you need to use a special lead to use a computer or smart phone to alter them? The smart range has bluetooth, but not the blue solar.
The BlueSolar MPPT 150/45 has several ways to cange its settings. 1) a little dial on the side to set charge profile 2) a phone app but you need an extra Bluetooth adapter 3) laptop with extra USB adspter or 4) on app/laptop/remotly over internet via a GX device and on board WiFi router or 5) there is a little round screen device you can fit called an MPPT control which lets you change all settings and gives display of how controller is working.

Option 1 is cheapest route to go and 5) is about an extra £50 not sure if you get the cable with this so might need one of them as well!

Thanks for all this very useful info.
Another problem has occurred to me - how do you tell what the state of charge of the battery is? With lead acid the voltage is a rough indicator, but the lithium appears to retain full voltage until almost fully discharged.
Amazon does list one affordable battery with blue tooth - https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOLITHIUM-...J2IjoiMSJ9.QtBeqF84kFeReqsM0ChpCttvAi0S20KbjR
but for those without bluetooth what is the solution?
The battery would be inside the campervan and I can turn the battery to battery charger on and off via a switch on the dash, (can only be on when the engine is on), so cold charging shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for all this very useful info.
Another problem has occurred to me - how do you tell what the state of charge of the battery is? With lead acid the voltage is a rough indicator, but the lithium appears to retain full voltage until almost fully discharged.
Amazon does list one affordable battery with blue tooth - https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOLITHIUM-...J2IjoiMSJ9.QtBeqF84kFeReqsM0ChpCttvAi0S20KbjR
but for those without bluetooth what is the solution?
The battery would be inside the campervan and I can turn the battery to battery charger on and off via a switch on the dash, (can only be on when the engine is on), so cold charging shouldn't be a problem.
If you search Aili or tr16i battery monitor, you'll find the cheaper alternative to the Victron shunt.
This has a permanent display so you don't have to mess opening an app.
The display isn't particularly large so you really need to mount it at eye level, you can buy them with an optional display extension lead.
These 'shunt' devices fit in the main battery negative and basically measure the power going in and out of the battery so once you've got it calibrated you always know the battery capacity to within a few percent.

If you search Aili or tr16i battery monitor, you'll find the cheaper alternative to the Victron shunt.
This has a permanent display so you don't have to mess opening an app.
The display isn't particularly large so you really need to mount it at eye level, you can buy them with an optional display extension lead.
These 'shunt' devices fit in the main battery negative and basically measure the power going in and out of the battery so once you've got it calibrated you always know the battery capacity to within a few percent.
Thanks, I thought there must be a solution.

fogstar are bringing out a new battery range the eco one model a 305A is only £80 dearer than the ones on amozan with our discount has the temp control etc and if it has the really good fogstar app is superb for information! in fact too much information it’s addictive lol

fogstar are bringing out a new battery range the eco one model a 305A is only £80 dearer than the ones on amozan with our discount has the temp control etc and if it has the really good fogstar app is superb for information! in fact too much information it’s addictive lol
That looks interesting as a known British co. with a 6 year warranty. The eco range doesn't have the fogstar app though. I dont see a discount listed under the member discounts for Fogstar - is there one?

The Victron BlueSolar MPPT 70/15 solar controller arrived today. There appears no way to alter it to set it for different battery types unless you buy an expensive Blutooth dongle at £37 or a unit to USB lead at £29. Useless instructions that do not explain the use for the tiny jumper plug that can connect 2 of the 4 pins of the socket on the unit. No wheel on the side for different batteries. Really disappointed, think I'll return it and get the SmartSolar version which is only £11 dearer, and has the Bluetooth built in I think.

The Victron BlueSolar MPPT 70/15 solar controller arrived today. There appears no way to alter it to set it for different battery types unless you buy an expensive Blutooth dongle at £37 or a unit to USB lead at £29. Useless instructions that do not explain the use for the tiny jumper plug that can connect 2 of the 4 pins of the socket on the unit. No wheel on the side for different batteries. Really disappointed, think I'll return it and get the SmartSolar version which is only £11 dearer, and has the Bluetooth built in I think.
Buy a votronic, all simple marked switches.

Almost always worthwhile getting the SmartSolar over the BlueSolar as not only is it easier to program and monitor, but it is easy to update the firmware and benefit from improvements.
The only time I would get the BlueSolar version (and I have a BlueSolar 100/50 in my Motorhome) is if it is connected to a Victron Cerbo GX or the like and so can be accessed with the VictronConnect App same as the SmartSolars can.

Back