Relays and waterpumps

Very good.

I still don't get why they added the complexity of taps with switches in the first place the Shurflo type pump cures all problems and no complicated wiring or relays, other than within the pump perhaps.

Very good.

I still don't get why they added the complexity of taps with switches in the first place the Shurflo type pump cures all problems and no complicated wiring or relays, other than within the pump perhaps.
The microswitch type is mostly used in smaller Campers where there is just the one kitchen tap - and often just a cold supply - with the only plumbing being from water tank to tap with the submersible pump dropped into tank/container. In that scenario it makes reasonable sense, but in a fully-fledged Motorhome like a Hymer with probably 3 different taps and a hot water tank that also needs supplying, not using a pressure activated pump such as a Shurflo seems a very cheap solution?

The microswitch type is mostly used in smaller Campers where there is just the one kitchen tap - and often just a cold supply - with the only plumbing being from water tank to tap with the submersible pump dropped into tank/container. In that scenario it makes reasonable sense, but in a fully-fledged Motorhome like a Hymer with probably 3 different taps and a hot water tank that also needs supplying, not using a pressure activated pump such as a Shurflo seems a very cheap solution?
I agree, my Hymer584 has three taps plus the toilet, a cheap solution yes but in 22 years I have only replaced the pump once and one microswitch which had a broken wire, until I removed it that wasn't obvious so I replaced it because I had already bought a replacement, then I soldered the wire on again and carried it as a spare

I agree, my Hymer584 has three taps plus the toilet, a cheap solution yes but in 22 years I have only replaced the pump once and one microswitch which had a broken wire, until I removed it that wasn't obvious so I replaced it because I had already bought a replacement, then I soldered the wire on again and carried it as a spare
Ohh, I forgot about the toilet flush to add to the list of outlets!
The thing I don't like about the Microswitch method is the taps - as far as I have seen on Campers (maybe the Hymers ones are different?) - tend to be pretty fragile but also expensive, and if a new tap is needed, you are limited to replacements with Microswitches rather than a pretty free choice of taps on the market.

Submersible pumps are quieter also they don’t have a filter bowl that is prone to cracking and has to be drained separately when draining down. Probably lighter too and every kg counts if you are trying to keep below 3500kg. I have had both types and neither have given me any problems, though I did have to turn the Shurflo one off at night because it would wake us up if the pressure dropped. Both can supply enough for a good shower, the Shurflo had a better flow but would get through the hot water quicker.

Back