Recommend a damp meter to me please

GMJ

Father's Day is coming up and my lad has asked what I'd like....hence the thread.

I'd like one without having to push the prongs in and under 50 quid if possible.

ta

This is mine and it’s good value. The memory setting is handy when you cannot see the reading when taking it ie inside cupboards etc. it handles various materials. Obviously it’s not as good as the pro meters costing £2-300, but it helped me with an issue on my previous van.

ta

Is this one with prongs or can it be used without?

Ball or prick?

Not sure how accurate the balls are but a prick can make damp an issue itself on some Van's and leave holes for damp to get in.

The pins are not for pushing into the surface , they just need to make contact with the surface to pass a signal between the two points, I’ve had one for years and have never had to push them into the surface to take a reading

Most van interiors are vinyl coated and it's there to act as a moisture barrier.

So all you are testing is the vinyl.

We had a expert do a survey on our house (not the type trying to sell me a treatment) and he explained how the different types worked, but for my needs a pin type was best as it penetrates the waterproof surface coating to the ply etc below.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
LIDL were selling them recently for about £10 below is a listing on ebay,

keep your eyes open for when they do them again.

As I mentioned in the OP I wanted one without prongs.

A moisture meter is little more than a conductivity meter.
You have this facility on your household/work multimeter. i.e. checking the conductivity of a wire.

Analogue meters are not to good.
Set the prongs 10mm apart 'ish. The old two sticks and tape method.

Measure known dry, and nearly dry and wet areas of the Same Material.
Note the measurements and use these as your reference for the part needed to check.
Keep the measurements safe for next time.

A moisture meter is little more than a conductivity meter.
You have this facility on your household/work multimeter. i.e. checking the conductivity of a wire.

Analogue meters are not to good.
Set the prongs 10mm apart 'ish. The old two sticks and tape method.

Measure known dry, and nearly dry and wet areas of the Same Material.
Note the measurements and use these as your reference for the part needed to check.
Keep the measurements safe for next time.
Or you could just buy a moisture meter!🤣

My lad got me this one. Thanks Rob. It looks like a handy piece of kit. I'll have a play with it tomorrow when I've finished loading the MH for a trip away.

He also got me an 18 piece Makita drill bit set too. Handy to have and also in a metal tin which is useful.
When we got our first van my sister bought me a small screwdriver kit with lots of bits from Lidl. I have lost count of how many times I have used it whilst out and about, and when at home in the van. I also carry a small tool kit, and recently I bought a small Bosch electric screwdriver. I carry all sorts of stuff, but the one thing I have found most useful is gaffer tape. I have assisted others also with what I carry. Whilst on a site down south an elderly couple had issues putting up their awning. They accident ly tore it, I managed a temporary repair using gaffer tape. I honestly don’t understand anyone heading out there without a basic toolkit.

When we got our first van my sister bought me a small screwdriver kit with lots of bits from Lidl. I have lost count of how many times I have used it whilst out and about, and when at home in the van. I also carry a small tool kit, and recently I bought a small Bosch electric screwdriver. I carry all sorts of stuff, but the one thing I have found most useful is gaffer tape. I have assisted others also with what I carry. Whilst on a site down south an elderly couple had issues putting up their awning. They accident ly tore it, I managed a temporary repair using gaffer tape. I honestly don’t understand anyone heading out there without a basic toolkit.

What no cable ties Bill?

I carry a decent tool kit in the van but also on the bike and of course gaffa tape and cable ties.

What no cable ties Bill?

I carry a decent tool kit in the van but also on the bike and of course gaffa tape and cable ties.

Yep, and in various sizes from 40mm all the way to one metre.
Damp meter, electrical multi meter, crimping tool and various crimps. Rob I even carry spare batteries for our watches and the tool required to get into them. My logic is why keep them indoors when I may need them when out with the van, (and twice we have) and if I do need them at home, the van is on the driveway. My wife reckons I am mad. (She might be right)
You’ll like this one, after a leak in my last vans gas reducing valve, I now carry a spare valve. When changing over vans last year I weighed everything. My tools came in at 6kg. I even carry a spare gas hose. 😨

Last edited:
Back