rabies injections

walkers

took these two daxies to the vets for their rabies jab, took them back for their blood tests and got the results today. given that there is only supposed to be a 4% chance of an animal failing the blood test they did really well. they both failed!! the vet insists everything was done right and the vaccine was stored correctly, anyone got any ideas as to why they failed cos it has to be a long shot one maybe but both thats luck for ya. they have to have the jab again and a new blood test £300 all over again. :mad:

in answer

Hi, years back had the same thing with our two pugs, after lots of shouting and then a lot more the vet did something, It ended up being a mix up at the blood testing stage. Boy was I mad,
Vets will not hold their hands up if any thing goes wrong, its just the world we live in these days.
Not saying that this is the case with your two dogs, But again its odd that it is both dogs.
terry

rabies

Hi Walkers

When the vet did our GS he gave HER 2 shots 2 weeks apart, he said only giving one shot, could result in the blood test failing and then having to wait another 30 days, sorry I know this doesn't really help you.
We also paid 350 for the passport as the vet had to keep coming here, as our dog has never been on a lead or out of the farm gates even, for 12 years, so I have told her after the cost, she is coming with me, dead or alive LOL.
She is going out today on her first trip around the block, its took me weeks to get her to go in the van, but she still won;t have a collar on, i have got her to have a harness on, but she won't walk with it on yet, perseverence is what is needed :)

Luckily for you, you have the time planned and it hasn't spoilt your trip, but the expense is a bummer :(

Hi Walkers

When the vet did our GS he gave HER 2 shots 2 weeks apart, he said only giving one shot, could result in the blood test failing and then having to wait another 30 days, sorry I know this doesn't really help you.
We also paid 350 for the passport as the vet had to keep coming here, as our dog has never been on a lead or out of the farm gates even, for 12 years, so I have told her after the cost, she is coming with me, dead or alive LOL.
She is going out today on her first trip around the block, its took me weeks to get her to go in the van, but she still won;t have a collar on, i have got her to have a harness on, but she won't walk with it on yet, perseverence is what is needed :)

Luckily for you, you have the time planned and it hasn't spoilt your trip, but the expense is a bummer :(
didn't get the advice about two jabs but after looking on the net i see quite a few vets do that, 2 injections and one blood test would have cost a seerious amount less, i haven't completely blown my top with the vet yet but i will my little girl has to have some teeth out monday so i will wait till the vet has done that before i upset her tooo much, had i been given the advice about two jabs ii would have taken it if for no other reason than not to put them through too much hassle they don't like going there particularly the bitch, she was ok till she got spayed but ever since she really hates going. good luck with retraining your gs am sure you will get there with a lot of patience and it will be worth it for both you and her.
regards tony and lynn

Hi, years back had the same thing with our two pugs, after lots of shouting and then a lot more the vet did something, It ended up being a mix up at the blood testing stage. Boy was I mad,
Vets will not hold their hands up if any thing goes wrong, its just the world we live in these days.
Not saying that this is the case with your two dogs, But again its odd that it is both dogs.
terry
thanks terry at least now i know i am not alone, i still and probably you still can't work out how both failed if it was one i might have took it on the chin but i still think no way could both have failed unless something was wrong with the vaccine or the way it was kept/administered or indeed the blood sample as in your case
regards tony

well went back to see vet yesterday and talk about these rabies jabs. she confide that she had investigated and found that they have had 5 dogs from this batch that failed the blood test from their 2 surgeries. she contacted the manufacturer they say that nothing was wrong with the vaccine, however they are prepared to foot the bill for the second blood samples, not the vaccine as they don't think anything is wrong with that. vet is going to have a word with the rep and thinks there is a chance he will provide replacement vaccines at no charge. it could well be that a lot more vaccines would have failed if blood samples were taken a lot of the injections may have been boosters(no sample needed) and american dogs (again no sample needed) as we have a lot of american military personell locally.

This is an interesting post "Walkers"; please keep us up to speed and let us know the outcome

This is an interesting post "Walkers"; please keep us up to speed and let us know the outcome
the outcome is the rep that sold the vaccine to the vet as an agent is paying for the replacemant vaccines the manufacturer whom deniesthere was anything wrong with the vaccine still won't pay for new ones, though oddly they are prepared to pay for the blood tests to be done again. anyway the situation is hopefully going to be resolved in a few weeks with the second blood test the re vaccine is on monday

Poor little dogs: They're the ones who end up with a sore bum.
Shame you can't stick it to the Rep, the Vet and the manufacturers as well

Poor little dogs: They're the ones who end up with a sore bum.
Shame you can't stick it to the Rep, the Vet and the manufacturers as well
is a shame they have to have the jabs and the blood tests all over, it could have been avoided the manufacturer have said to the vet they will be revising their literature to recommend that dogs under a year and dogs over seven years should have two jabs prior to the blood test to reduce the risk of failure, had we been advised this the first time we would have done it. the black and tan had to have some teeth out Monday and went back for a check up today she is so stressed out when she goes there i really would rather have got it over and done with the first time.

well they went back for second blood test last night hopefully they have been busy making the antibodies this time. got all fingers and toes crossed while we wait for the result back from the lab

Fingers crossed for you and the dog's mate, lets hope all is well this time ;)

well they have now got their positive test results so now all they have to do is go and see the vet to get their passports sorted:D

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back