Power Consumption

Nosha

A TV is probably the biggest single current draw you have in a motorhome, then possibly interior lighting and then the fan assisted central heating.

Others have said that changing to LCD or laptop TV saves over a CRT telly (and also saves a lot on weight) I have also made quite a saving by replacing some of the halogen down lighters for LCD replacements. We had 10w units which for sitting about and drinking/watching TV were too bright, I have changed these for 24 group LED's which consume less than 1w, if you search on ebay there is now a replacement for EVERY 12v car bulb made (but some are still quite new and expensive). The down lighters can now be bought with a 32 led group/cluster which are as bright as a 20w unit but consume 2 or 3 watts.

There is even a mini festoon bulb that replaces most standard car type interior/door lights which chages colour - sexy or what?

I have even fitted an ultra-bright LED plus resistor into the body of a 12v plug - the sort where the top is a fawn/beige colour and the base is clear making a quick plug in night light! All for 12.5p plus plug!! Happy camping and new year!

I tried LEDs a couple of years ago.....but found the light too harsh white and cold looking.......

I switched back to ordinary (slightly yellow glow) type bulbs.....much more welcoming.

Have things improved with LEDs lately ?

Leds

Jondeau
I prefere the slightly yellow glow myself. Much cosier feel but could be difficult looking for anything you have dropped. That's why I carry a pair of binoculars.

Cold LED's

Yes you are right, the whites ARE a VERY pure blue/white.

To counteract his I have fitted a yellow cluster in the 'lounge' area and a red in the bedroom end which warms it all up a bit (Even if the bedroom does look a bit like a 'knocking shop'!)

As with most areas of technology things are improving all the time. If you search the net you will find warm white LED's available and some are being made up into 12V assemblies

We've just 'invested' in 2 12volt LED clip-on spotlights at £14.99 each and I think they have 12 LEDs each.We bought from our local independent electrical shop who ordered them for us and would have been willing to take them back if we didn't like them. We bought them mainly to read by, we had previosly bought clip-on reading LED lights which ran on 'hearing aid' type batteries and didn't last very long plus didn't give enough light for us. When we tried to buy new batteries they took 3 each I think it was going to cost more than the lights originally.
We've switched thenew clip-ons on in the dark and they seem very good but will really find out on our first expedition of 2007 next week.
The other good thing about them is that they use a lot less power, I believe.

No LEDs???

I have tried various outlets, inc. Caravan/Motorhome dealers & Maplins for LED cluster that directly replaces the Halogen G4 push in bulb, but no one has ever seen them. CAK tanks indicated that they were going to stock these, but I've not come across any yet. I've looked at the site you listed Nosha, but couldn't spot the ones I'm looking for. What have you changed from & replaced with. You've also mentioned a "Yellow cluster" to soften the intensity.

beejay said:
I have tried various outlets, inc. Caravan/Motorhome dealers & Maplins for LED cluster that directly replaces the Halogen G4 push in bulb, but no one has ever seen them. CAK tanks indicated that they were going to stock these, but I've not come across any yet. I've looked at the site you listed Nosha, but couldn't spot the ones I'm looking for. What have you changed from & replaced with. You've also mentioned a "Yellow cluster" to soften the intensity.

Beejay ... Quick Google revealed this...http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/default.php?cPath=74

I get most of my power from a 240volt Gas run generator but I also have a 12volt back up genny as well as solar panal fitted to the roof so I gues I have more than enough for what I need. I find that although a kettle takes a lot of juice as does a toaster and the tv the worst one of the lot is the portable convector heater I sometimes use.

LEDs

Hi Virgil, Yes I've seen the type that Google has thrown up & in other areas, but while they do replace the G4, but if you look at the fitting, the 2 prongs are on the SIDE of the LED & would look ridiculous when inserted, they would no longer be downlighters, but a new fangled sidelighter?? The only one that seems to be something like what's needed is this one, (UG421W2 G4 12V DC 21 Led Cool White Led Bulb VReg V2) which appears to push in, but no dimensions are given, to decide if it stands proud of the surround. Can't for the life of me, think what the other ones would be used for, with the side prongs?
Unless of course, the unit has side fitting, as opposed to centre fitting which mine are.

Last edited:
Beejay led's

I think from memory my halogen down lighters contained GU21 inserts, they are a 10w bulb with built in reflector and just push in, some have a small ball on the end of the bulb legs and are a push & turn.

We have an eighteen cluster in yellow in the lounge area and an 18 red over the bed, I have just ordered a festoon replacement for the front interior light that is both brighter, cooler running and a tenth of the power consumption, so I'll let you know how I get on with that once it arrives!

Nosha said:
I have even fitted an ultra-bright LED plus resistor into the body of a 12v plug - the sort where the top is a fawn/beige colour and the base is clear making a quick plug in night light! All for 12.5p plus plug!! Happy camping and new year!
This is the best site i have found yet for LED lighting fast delivery, any way i got mine from them and i am well pleased with them also at a reasonable price and only £3 delivery, ultra leds are moving by the way.;)

http://www.litewave.co.uk/

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back