Points gap?

bikeboy

My van is a 1989(G) Fiat Ducato, 2Lt. petrol. I need to fit new points and want to know how to find the gap they should be set at. Also the coil may need changing and my local parts supplier couldn't identify the one to order. Help please

This is my first time on the site and have found it very interesting. The problem with "Fuel return" has affected me and the answers will help I'm sure:)

Hi and welcome to the wildside, sorry cant help you out with the tech stuff, but I'm pretty sure someone will be along to point you in the right direction.

Regards Tom

Welcome bikeboy if you cant find an anwer here there is a dedicated ducato forum that you should find the answer
rob

The points gap should first be set at 15 thou,then you need to check and set the dwell angle,you will need a dwell angle meter to do this.

Dwell angle= The angle the rotor cam moves while the points are closed ( or it could be open, 20 years since i was a mechanic)

My van is a 1989(G) Fiat Ducato, 2Lt. petrol. I need to fit new points and want to know how to find the gap they should be set at. Also the coil may need changing and my local parts supplier couldn't identify the one to order. Help please

This is my first time on the site and have found it very interesting. The problem with "Fuel return" has affected me and the answers will help I'm sure:)

Hi and welcome Bikeboy:), have a read of this link, it may help.

http://www.jktowers.fsnet.co.uk/motorhome/index.htm

I.ll get back to on the points gap;)

ignition bumf

spark plugs champion N281 yc bosh W7dc
gap 08-07mm 0.024-0.003in:)

Hi Bikeboy , hope this helps;

Ignition timing : 10 degrees

Dwell angle : 57 degrees + 2 degrees.

Equivalent to Contact breaker gap of 0.4 mm.,

PS dont give up on your coil just yet:rolleyes:, assume the low tension wires to the coil are suspect;), remove and clean them at both ends.

Keep us posted on any progress:)

Hi bikeboy,
certainly getting loads of info, great. I have a New Fiat Ducato Owners Manual if you would like it (free). If not maybe someone else. Send Pm with address if you want it.

Happy Camping:)

hi and welcome to the wildys have you considered changing to electronic ignition more reliable and cheaper in the long run quite an easy upgrade

That should already be electronic ignition of some kind. I had an old Ducato, 1988 and that was electronic ignition:(:(:(:(

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back