Point of Ness campsite, Orkney

Jo001

Not being able to get to the continent this year we decided on a trip to Orkney. This campsite was going to be used for a WC meet and we looked at it at the time and thought it looked worth a visit (we mix wilding and sites).

It doesn't disappoint. Fabulous views, really friendly warden, spotlessly clean facilities. It's even been dry.

The golf club is good for a pint, very friendly.

If you can fit in a hop over to Hoy get along to Rackwick Bay. Overnighting encouraged and only a couple of miles stroll up to the Old Man of Hoy.

Cheers

H

Was there last year, about this time too, really enjoyable time spent at a superb place.

We looked there year or so ago in late season....

Was all shut up so ended up at a small parking spot just near to Skara brae...

Had a water tap and our 'own' toilet block...

Lovely spot when the crowds subsided.

Screenshot_20200917-210734_Photobucket.jpg

Great site. Pop up to Brough of Birsay car park. Little place right on the beach looks out over the little island with a viking site. Interesting named village that we drove through I cant post its name on here as its considered rude. Begins with a T.

Great site. Pop up to Brough of Birsay car park. Little place right on the beach looks out over the little island with a viking site. Interesting named village that we drove through I cant post its name on here as its considered rude. Begins with a T.

TWATT

Cheers

H

Well I've had a bit of head scratching and remembering what van we had and what board I was sailing, and I've narrowed it down to between 1987 and 1988 when we where there. At that time it was a good site to stay for a windsurfer, right on the waterside

There are lots of great wild camping spots including a fair few car parks with toilets. They're all on the Location Map.

My one bit of advice if stopping right in Kirkwall is to go for the car park opposite Tesco rather than the Ayre Mills roundabout one, it has marked motorhome bays and this is where we sleep whenever we pop over to town.

Ayre Mills has a lovely view across the bay, it is indeed a lovely spot to stop for the night.... Until the boy racers start driving the run round the roundabout then down the main drag to the Orkney Ferries terminal, then back again, and so on and so on. Music playing, arm out of the window looking well kewl ;):(:eek::rolleyes:

If you can fit in a hop over to Hoy get along to Rackwick Bay. Overnighting encouraged and only a couple of miles stroll up to the Old Man of Hoy.
Second that. Although it can get a bit windy (like most of the Orkneys...) we had to turn the van through 90 degrees so it was facing head into wind!

When we first went to Hoy we asked the Tourist Office whether there were any facilities for MHs on the Island (there weren't a couple of years ago, don't know if there are now) and they said we could park anywhere that didn't actually block the road!

Good to read about one local Authority that acknowledges the existence of motorhomes 😀

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back