Parking lights?

fatbuddha

Hi, has anyone got any recent working knowledge of the lights at night rule for vehicles over 1.5tonnes?
The new highway code implies that everything between 1.5 -7.5tonnes should display lights at night when parked even on roads under 30mph, but contradicts itself a bit. Motorhomes parked on the road are asking for trouble sooner or later it seems.
if you haven't read it recently, go have a look!
Do the police understand the rules?
Does anyone understand how this may affect a converted coachbuilt van weighing in at 6.5 tonnes, not immediately obvious as a Motorcaravan til they look it up on the PNC?
is my 'PHGV' still a 'goods vehicle' ?
If not it just comes under the vague catch all of 'Other Vehicles' over 1.5 tonnes.
Like I said, any real experience would be welcome
Ta!

cant help with a sensible answer for l.g.v but only to say it is impossible to have side parking lights on only ,as on some vehicles all lights go out with the ignition so no parking lights are available
***** is correct about he rules but how many do we see parked right up to the junction
far to many for the poilce to have the time to report

the cotradictoary answer from the highway code not the law
it dont seem to make sence

:223: All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph.
Law RVLR reg 24

224: Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525kg unladen, invalid carriages and motorcycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph or less if they are:

- at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
- in a recognised parking place or lay-by. Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.
Law RVLR reg 24

From: Highway Code http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069860

Last edited:
cant help with a sensible answer for l.g.v but only to say it is impossible to have side parking lights on only ,as on some vehicles all lights go out with the ignition so no parking lights are available
***** is correct about he rules but how many do we see parked right up to the junction
far to many for the poilce to have the time to report

Hi, on Fiat you have to turn your key back in the other direction, and that puts your side lights on, then take your key out.;) Bob.:D

See what I mean?
Thanks for posting the Highway code link so others can see it. It seems we are all breaking the law all the time. Just fingers crossed i guess!

I don't know if things have altered, but it used to be that anything over 3500kg had to be parked with lights on.
I know that trucks in lay bys may not have them on, but technically they are breaking the law.
I once had a tractor unit parked outside my house which was well set back from the road and Mr plod came a knocking at my door:eek::eek:
But to my horror, when I turn off my M/H engine, the lights then go off:eek:
What happens if I stop in an unlit street:eek::eek:
Hazards on, but that is not correct is it?
On the ignition switch on my ducato there was a little black button if you depress this before removing the key the lights will stay on.

So, has anyone been woken up in the night, whilst parked on the road or layby by a policeman saying 'put yer lights on!'
It happened to me many years ago as a rookie 7.5 tonne agency driver. The fist banging on the door at 3am certainly got my adrenaline going.
Wild camping with lights seems to miss the point doesn't it?
...or are we all good law abiding etc?...
I don't mind the electric drain so much as I've got solar on my starters, but I want to stay discreet.
Is it time for the law to be changed as it is so regularly flouted?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back