Paloma water heater

avandriver

After spending too much time trying to fix my water heater I have decided to get anoher one .

It is a paloma mk5 I have managed to fix the leaking pipe but now the flow tap has stuck and when the sysyem is presurised the pipe wich has the drain tap on just flies out of its seat and I end up with water everywhere

Does anybody know where I could buy one I realy dont want to go to the hassle of rerouting pipes and flues to fit a different model

Steve

Don't u think you'd be better off persevering with the old one?

Take it out ,get in on a bench and give it a good service bfore you think about replacing it.
This is my own opinion ,of course;)
I know how you feel when you get a setback it's very frustrating and you feel like chucking it but what I do is to shelve the job and concentrate on something else, then go back to it when you're inthe mood for it.

When you finally get it fixed it will give you a great deal of satisfaction.

I am also working on a winter project,and I have had more ups than downs, although today was a down, I'll take time out tomorrow and come back to the job refreshed next week.

Keep your chin up.:rolleyes:

True, Lenny. I think there would be more satisfaction to get it fixed. However, I don't know the true nature of the problem. It seems some things are beyond economical repair, especially when there is a key part, which is impossible to get hold of and very difficult to make a workable replacement for.

Right guys you have shamed me in to getting my hands dirty again

And the result is I can now have a HOT shower in my van

I stripped the flow tap and clamped it in a vice to free it off .

The drain valve that was popping out of its seat under pressure has been replaced by a bolt and a rubber washer .

The only downside is when I have to drain it for the winter I will need to take the covers off and remove the plug with a spanner but that is not much of a hardship

Steve

Cheers, I managed to strip my heater yesterday and free the temp control with brute force and a prayer. Not done the drain yet but will get around to it, I am thinking of adding a drain tap.

A stuck water temperature control is quite common on the Paloma. To prevent it happening the control just needs to be turned up and down a few times every so often to stop the internal build up of limescale.

A stuck valve can usually be freed off without stripping the heater, use a mole wrench on the spindle and work it backwards and forwards a little at a time.

The trick always worked for me in the days when I was out and about mending boats....

AndyC

Cheers, I managed to strip my heater yesterday and free the temp control with brute force and a prayer. Not done the drain yet but will get around to it, I am thinking of adding a drain tap.

If you look at this picture Roger

112479015_o.jpg

The knurled piece of pipe sticking out at the bottom of the pic ( furthest right when looking at the front )

That is the drain pipe , when you shut of the water supply for winter remove this piece and the water will drain out of the heater

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back