Our new old van!

ianf

Our 1989 Mercedes Benz Auto-trail Chieftain

IMG_0283.jpg

Not exactly a self build, more of a refurbishment project. Bought her at the beginning of the year with the idea of getting a few week-ends in before the end of the summer. Well that isn't going to happen, not that we are complaining, we are just doing more to her than we originally planned.

There will be many in this forum that know a lot more about campers than I do but I think our general experiences may help others considering this approach to getting away from it all.

I have seen that URL's are not allowed except in the other web site section but that seems to be for commercial entries and this isn't. This is about buying a base van and what we have found and completed to date. The site is here: T1 Camper If this is seen as a breach of the rules then I apologise in advance.

All the best, Ian

Thanks for your kinds words, we are pleased but I'm not sure I'd want to do this again next year as well :)

Ian

You got a good one (well it is now!) Love the number plate sticker....the "i" was missing in caviarvan though!:lol-049::lol-049: Your dogs are lovely, looking soo at home!

Good info for those embarking on a similar project.

One of the reasons we have gone for the van is the dogs, we don't like leaving them in kennels (nothing wrong with kennels I hasten to add). I intend adding an indicator buzzer this week end, you can't hear the usual click and the dash indicator repeaters are difficult to see. The dogs do like just sleeping in there and the mud magnet (hanging out of the side window) makes sure that anything dropped (or just put down) never hits the floor.

I hope to add to the site as I do the odd "improvement".

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian,
Great van, and lovely write up ton on your website. I hope to read more as you add it :)
Same with us and the dogs - can't leave the pack behind when we holiday, we miss them too much!

Yup ,its the main reason we started camping is because we have dog :)
Wouldnt be a holiday if we left half the family behind lol

Great site giving lots of detail about your efforts and frustrations, I love the 308d very solid and steady. The whole project makes a brill van.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back